When I was 19
十九岁的时候
I legally immigrated to the USA.
我非法移民到了美国
I left my country on Mother's day 1963.
1963年的母亲节,我离开了故土
Circumstances were such that
我的处境如此糟糕
I for a short time
有一小段时间里
became homeless
我无家可归
but then found a job
后来我找到一份工作
in East Los Angeles.
在旧金山东部
I was able to live in one of their staff houses,
我在他们提供的一间宿舍住下
went 3 hours to school each night.
每天晚上花三个小时的时间走去学校
I had very little money
我几乎没什么钱
but felt abundant .
却感到十分富足
Mother's Day 1964 arrived
1964年的母亲节到来了
and I needed to call my Mom in Germany.
我想给远在德国的母亲打个电话
I had a little paper sack of quarters
我只有几个硬币,用纸包成一个小包
for $12.
总共能凑齐12美元
It was a LOT of money for me.
这对我来说已经是很大一笔钱了
I walked up 2 streets
我走过了两个街区
to a phone booth.
才找到一个电话亭
It was a pretty hot day.
那时一个十分炎热的日子
Anyway
无论如何
I dialed the operator:
我接通了接线员
'How may I help you?'
您需要什么服务?
I said
我说
I like to call my Mom in Germany.
我想给在德国的母亲打个电话
She said
她说:
'$ 12 for the first 3 minutes.'
最初三分钟12美元
I fed the phone all the quarters I had.
我把手中所有的硬币都倒进了电话机里
A.s.a. that happened
刚把硬币扔完
I heard the phone ring.
我听到了电话提示音
It was my Mom who picked up.
是母亲拿起了电话
She was extremely excited
她兴奋极了
to hear my voice for the first time in a year.
一年以来,还是第一次听到了我的声音
We talked fast and excitedly.
我们快速说着话,都很兴奋
After a while she said:
过了一会儿她问
'Child this must be very expensive?'
孩子,这很贵吧?
I had forgotten time and space.
我已经忘记了世间和空间
We talked on and on.
我们继续交谈下去
The call ended
通话结束
and all my quarters tumbled out again.
我的硬币却都弹了出来
I was stunned.
我感到惊讶极了
We had talked for 45 minutes
我们谈了45分钟
and this kind operator gave us such amazing present.
这个善良的接线员给了我一份这样好的礼物
Thank you.
谢谢你
It was only 1 of the many kindnesses I have experienced
我曾体会过许多种善良,这只是其中一种
in this wonderful country.
在这个神奇的国度
I never asked for anything.
我从不曾奢望什么
But because I worked and studied hard,
但因为我一直勤劳的工作和学习
people seeing it supported my effords.
看到我的努力的人们都来支持我
从瑜伽中汲取投资智慧
关于献血日的10个趣闻
斯诺登申请避难冰岛
夏天到了蚊子来了:10大原因你为什么老被蚊子咬
体坛英语资讯:Man City beat Liverpool on penalties to lift Community Shield
My Ideal Job 我理想的工作
《富春山居图》是中国最大卖烂片吗
毕业生择业两难 国企OR私企
娱乐英语资讯:British actor Tim Roth receives top Sarajevo Film Festival award
CIA情报官员如何物色特工人选
毛腿防狼丝袜网络走红 口味太重你敢穿出去吗?
G8峰会:奥巴马独占酒店体育馆 普京被迫冰湖游泳
学点新东西:10种你可以尝试的兴趣爱好
体坛英语资讯:Burundi qualify to face Uganda in 2020 CHAN qualifier
器官配给—谁来决定生死权?
法52岁妈妈替19岁女儿代考英文 被罚7千欧
国内英语资讯:China honors outstanding builders of socialism with Chinese characteristics
生活因变化而精彩:5种方式打造精彩生活
国内英语资讯:China, U.S. negotiation teams maintain effective communication: MOC
浪漫其实并不难:如何做一个浪漫的人?
最美好的时光:毕业后工作前你该做什么?
NASA选拔8名航天员 半数是女性
《植物大战僵尸2》七月全球登场 超萌预告发布
体坛英语资讯:Chinas volleyball team among six teams to qualify for Tokyo Games
贝克汉姆造访同济大学引发踩踏事件 致7人受伤
体坛英语资讯:Benedetto moves to Marseille from Boca Juniors
国内英语资讯:Xi calls for joint efforts with Philippines in achieving early adoption of COC
新加坡遭遇史上最严重雾霾天气
刘海控看过来:8招对付长得太快没造型的刘海
向2013应届毕业生的致辞
| 不限 |
| 英语教案 |
| 英语课件 |
| 英语试题 |
| 不限 |
| 不限 |
| 上册 |
| 下册 |
| 不限 |