When I was 19
十九岁的时候
I legally immigrated to the USA.
我非法移民到了美国
I left my country on Mother's day 1963.
1963年的母亲节,我离开了故土
Circumstances were such that
我的处境如此糟糕
I for a short time
有一小段时间里
became homeless
我无家可归
but then found a job
后来我找到一份工作
in East Los Angeles.
在旧金山东部
I was able to live in one of their staff houses,
我在他们提供的一间宿舍住下
went 3 hours to school each night.
每天晚上花三个小时的时间走去学校
I had very little money
我几乎没什么钱
but felt abundant .
却感到十分富足
Mother's Day 1964 arrived
1964年的母亲节到来了
and I needed to call my Mom in Germany.
我想给远在德国的母亲打个电话
I had a little paper sack of quarters
我只有几个硬币,用纸包成一个小包
for $12.
总共能凑齐12美元
It was a LOT of money for me.
这对我来说已经是很大一笔钱了
I walked up 2 streets
我走过了两个街区
to a phone booth.
才找到一个电话亭
It was a pretty hot day.
那时一个十分炎热的日子
Anyway
无论如何
I dialed the operator:
我接通了接线员
'How may I help you?'
您需要什么服务?
I said
我说
I like to call my Mom in Germany.
我想给在德国的母亲打个电话
She said
她说:
'$ 12 for the first 3 minutes.'
最初三分钟12美元
I fed the phone all the quarters I had.
我把手中所有的硬币都倒进了电话机里
A.s.a. that happened
刚把硬币扔完
I heard the phone ring.
我听到了电话提示音
It was my Mom who picked up.
是母亲拿起了电话
She was extremely excited
她兴奋极了
to hear my voice for the first time in a year.
一年以来,还是第一次听到了我的声音
We talked fast and excitedly.
我们快速说着话,都很兴奋
After a while she said:
过了一会儿她问
'Child this must be very expensive?'
孩子,这很贵吧?
I had forgotten time and space.
我已经忘记了世间和空间
We talked on and on.
我们继续交谈下去
The call ended
通话结束
and all my quarters tumbled out again.
我的硬币却都弹了出来
I was stunned.
我感到惊讶极了
We had talked for 45 minutes
我们谈了45分钟
and this kind operator gave us such amazing present.
这个善良的接线员给了我一份这样好的礼物
Thank you.
谢谢你
It was only 1 of the many kindnesses I have experienced
我曾体会过许多种善良,这只是其中一种
in this wonderful country.
在这个神奇的国度
I never asked for anything.
我从不曾奢望什么
But because I worked and studied hard,
但因为我一直勤劳的工作和学习
people seeing it supported my effords.
看到我的努力的人们都来支持我
纽约天价停车位将上市 售价高达100万美元
澳洲矿业大亨成全球女首富 资产284亿美元
苹果申请手写笔专利 iPen曾遭乔布斯无情嘲笑
找一个理想中的梦幻室友
罗马公开赛李娜遭逆转 憾负莎娃无缘冠军
美私企成功发射首个商业飞船
八国峰会首脑偷闲看欧冠 英首相复仇雪耻
英国小镇ATM错吐双倍现金 银行称错在自己不追讨
英语百科之啤酒的故事
40岁以后生育的小孩身体更棒 智商更高
六成中国职员曾请病假看球 名列世界第一
医务人员练真气 打通任督二脉?
政府部门被要求买国货
未来电视关机后变透明
猫之恋 The Cat Thing
芭蕾,你是舞之女王
英国公务员发工资看“薪水地图”
伦敦奥运火炬中途熄灭 已用火炬网上拍卖
身体可是自己的:15个小改变让你更健康
自我保护之冻结的一瞬间
西藏推出高原反应险 保障游客安全
神秘的满月之月光光,心慌慌
美国联邦调查局外语人才招聘 会讲中文应聘者抢手
剑桥女生评选“年度美臀”惹争议
学习外语好处多:双语让你更敏锐
万达26亿美元收购全球第二大院线集团AMC
饮用咖啡有助延年益寿
校园情侣再续前缘:再过六十年 我们来相会
世界上最胖的女人迎来人生大日子
Facebook式离婚:丈夫未修改单身状态 妻子要求离婚
| 不限 |
| 英语教案 |
| 英语课件 |
| 英语试题 |
| 不限 |
| 不限 |
| 上册 |
| 下册 |
| 不限 |