Mom and Dad taught us some basic etiquette rules to follow at the table: keep your mouth closed while chewing, don't talk with your mouth full and keep your elbows off the table. Although that last one may no longer be very important, the others still are, especially when it comes to what not to do at a business lunch. In addition, there are other rules to follow. They may seem to be simply a matter of common sense but given what the author has seen of late, that commodity seems to be in short supply.
从小我们就被教导:进食的时候应该把嘴巴合起来,当嘴里都是食物的时候不能说话,手肘不要放在桌子上。尽管最后一条听起来没那么重要,但其他的还是很重要的,特别是与别人共进工作午餐的时候,除此之外,还有一些规则要遵守。也许看起来如同常识一般简单,但就笔者最近的观察,这些注意事项都被大多数人忽视了。
1. Don't Floss Your Teeth
1. 别剔牙。
While there's no arguing the importance of dental hygiene, tending to it should never be done in public.
没错,保持牙齿清洁卫生是很重要的,但是这决不能在公共场合做。
2. Don't Brush or Comb Your Hair
2. 不要梳头发。
Nobody wants hair in their food and when you run a comb or brush through yours.
没有人希望在你梳理头发的时候发现有一两根在自己的食物里面。
3. Don't Blow Your Nose
3. 不要擤鼻涕。
While we're on the topic, if you sneeze at the table, go to the restroom to wash your hands.
当大家正在谈话的时候,如果你打喷嚏,那么就请移步洗手间并洗手吧。
4. Don't Talk on the Phone
4. 别打电话。
If you get a call, go elsewhere to take it, but only if it's a good time to do so. If you and your dining companions are in the middle of discussing something important, wait for the best opportunity to leave the table.
如果你的电话响了,请到别的地方去接听,但当然要在适合的时机才能去。如果你正与合作伙伴谈论重要的事情的时候,请等到合适的时候才去接听电话。
5. Don't Continuously Text
5. 别无休止地发信息。
Staring at your screen while sharing a meal is impolite. If you get a text that can be quickly answered, go ahead and do it—one time. Otherwise, wait for a chance to excuse yourself and then reply.
与别人共进午餐的时候眼睛盯着手机屏幕是很不礼貌的。如果你有一条能够快速回复的信息,那么就回复吧,但只能是一次。除此之外,你就只能等待合适时间再回复了。
6. Don't Burp
6. 别打嗝。
In some circles, burping indicates that you have enjoyed your meal. While the cook may appreciate the good news, your fellow diners probably won't.
在某些圈子里,打嗝会给别人传递你很享受这一顿午餐的信号。虽然主厨很欣赏这种表现,但是你的同事则未必了。
7. Don't Apply or Fix Makeup
7. 别化妆。
The rules of etiquette dictate that makeup not be applied at the table especially in the case of business meals.
礼仪规则规定,不能再餐桌上化妆,尤其是商务午餐的时候。
8. Don't Be Rude to the Waiter or Waitress
8. 别对服务员不礼貌。
Many people consider it a big red flag when they observe someone being rude to waitstaff or other service workers. They see it as a sign of how that person will ultimately treat them. Whether this is true or not is irrelevant if it leaves them with a bad impression of you.
许多人会觉得,当他们看到有人对服务员或其他服务性劳动者不礼貌是一件危险的事情。他们能够预测这个人会怎样对待自己。无论这是真的还是毫无关系的,不要对服务员不礼貌,不然就会给对方留下一个不好的印象。
9. Don't Eat Anything Other Than Finger Food With Your Fingers
9. 除了小点心,不要用手拿其他的食物。
10. Don't Make a Negative Comment About Someone Else's Food
10.不要对别人的食物指指点点
If you don't like the looks of someone else's meal, avert your eyes from their plate and enjoy your own food.
如果你不喜欢别人的食物,那么把自己的视线转移过去,好好享受自己的午餐吧。
One Direction: History
《史努比:花生大电影》电影精讲
换掉旧电脑前要做的5件事
《夜空中最亮的星》英文版
Emma Stevens: Once
曾经的男神女神 现在的过气明星
《万物理论》电影精讲
中国代购占领澳大利亚
《疯狂动物城》主题曲:Try Everything
双语美文之停止比较,做最好的自己
California earthquake swarm rattles nerves
实用口语之晕机
威猛乐队:Carelss Whisper
格莱美年度单曲:Thinking Out Loud
该不该对陌生人说出逆耳忠言
喝咖啡会发胖的原因
一无所有(英文版):I Walk This Road Alone
Nick Jonas: Champagne Problems
《实习生》电影精讲
词汇辨析之Creativity、innovation 、originality
Meghan Trainor: No
《博物馆奇妙夜3》电影精讲
Ariana Grande: Be Alright
词汇解析之lev=lift “抬升”
马特·达蒙90秒总结《谍影重重》系列
《007:幽灵党》电影精讲
Years & Years: Shine
词汇辨析之Charge, fee, fare, cost
《终结者:创世纪》电影精讲
《独立日》电影精讲
不限 |
英语教案 |
英语课件 |
英语试题 |
不限 |
不限 |
上册 |
下册 |
不限 |