Oliver Sacks, a neurology professor at NYU, shares the truth about life as an octogenarian in a piece for The New York Times. In the column, Sacks writes:
奥利弗·赛克斯是纽约大学的一名神经病学家,她在《纽约时报》上发表了一篇文章,谈论耄耋之年的生活。在专栏里她这样写道:
“I do not think of old age as an ever grimmer time that one must somehow make the best of, but as a time of leisure and freedom, freed from the factitious urgencies of earlier days, free to explore whatever I wish, and to bind the thoughts and feelings of a lifetime together.”
“我不认为人老年的时候要比以往更加抓紧利用时间,而是该享受休闲和自由,从过去那种应付急事儿的匆忙中解脱出来,去探索自己憧憬的领域,将一生的思考和觉悟做个整合。”
Isn’t that beautiful?
很美好,不是吗?
An 80th birthday is cause for celebration, but along the way other milestones matter too. For instance, the big 30.
80岁确实值得庆祝,但是人生中还有其他的里程碑,比如而立之年。
By the time we say goodbye to our twenties, what should we have experienced in our careers?
当30岁来临的时候,我们应该已经在职场中经历哪些事呢?
1. At least one intern has addressed you as “Mr.” or “Ms.”
1. 至少有一个实习生称你为“先生”或“女士”。
2. Seven words: moved from your parents’ house for good.
2. 七个字:从父母家搬出来。
3. Handled every schedule imaginable — days, nights, weekends, weekend nights, holidays, holiday nights…you get the idea.
3. 整理好所有能想到的行程——白天的、晚上的、周末的、周末晚上的,假期的、假期晚上的……做什么由你自己决定。
4. Written so many cover letters that you could pen an autobiography of failed job applications.
4. 你写的求职信已经多得能够出一本自传了,内容就是失败的求职经历。
5. Had such a terrible boss that you questioned the very idea of working to earn a living.
5. 遇到过一个糟糕的老板让你甚至质疑挣钱养家的这个想法。
6. Realized that your college major — once a pivotal career decision — really didn’t matter all that much.
6. 意识到你大学主修的专业对工作并不重要,哪怕曾经这是择业的关键。
7. Slaved away in your office on a picture-perfect Sunday because, well, the work’s just gotta get done.
7. 在某个风和日丽的周日在办公室拼命干活,工作总要做完,不是吗?
8. After several years in the professional ranks, your resume’ no longer has traces of college clubs and achievements.
8. 工作几年,换了几个职位之后,你的简历上不再填有大学里参加的社团活动和获得的奖励。
9. You don’t even flinch when the client says, “This isn’t what I wanted. You’ll need to do it again.”
9. 当客户说:“这不是我想要的,你需要重新做。”的时候,你毫不退缩。
10. Maintained a 401k and contributed funds to the point that you can actually see it working.
10.有养老保险,并且缴纳的费用已经让你能看到效用了。
11. Defused a stressful office situation by saying, “In my experience, here’s what we should do.”
11. 通过说“根据我的经验,我们应该这样做。”化解了办公室里的矛盾。
12. Landed a nice raise and proceeded to buy something you would never get otherwise.
12. 获得了加薪,然后买了一样你之前不可能得到的东西。
13. Elected to take an advanced education course because of the value it added to your career.
13. 经过投票,获得了接受继续教育的机会,因为这对你的职业生涯有好处。
14. After bouncing from job to job, you finally see the value of a stable situation with long-term potential.
14.经过多次跳槽,你终于了解到稳定和潜力的价值。
15. Been there and done that long enough to understand who you are and the type of work that gets you out of bed in the morning. If your twenties were the decade to get knocked around, then may you spend the next ten years cashing in on the education.
15. 找到你愿意为之早起的工作,长期做下去,在这个职位上了解到真实的自己。如果二十几岁的时候你碌碌无为,那么接下来的十年你就要好好兑现自己所学了。
青少年和青年人普遍患有前驱糖尿病
2019年12月英语四级作文范文:作弊
国际英语资讯:Developed countries should take more responsibility in addressing climate change, says scien
体坛英语资讯:Kisorio seeks for debut win at Beijing Marathon
国际英语资讯:Modi urges Indian scientists to develop low-cost technologies to fast-track countrys growt
希拉克挥别欧盟 默克尔赠啤酒杯作退休礼物
国内英语资讯:Xinjiang relocates nearly 170,000 poor residents in 4 years
国际英语资讯:French govt seeks way to end social crisis as unions harden action against pension reform
两会热点:婚检--幸福生活的第一道防线
国际英语资讯:No signs of life after New Zealand volcanic eruption: PM
聚焦两会:留守儿童 谁来管?
安妮斯顿:健康生活从瑜伽开始
滑雪爱好者患抑郁和痴呆的风险更低
2019年12月英语四级作文预测:校园盗窃
国际英语资讯:News Analysis: Fire claiming 43 deaths rings alarm bell for Delhis illegal industrial unit
国内英语资讯:Xi holds phone talks with European Council President Michel
体坛英语资讯:Analysis: Not only Kovac to blame for Bayerns turmoil
印度工学院限制学生上网 鼓励学生走出宿舍
国内英语资讯:China pledges continuous efforts to tackle challenges facing WTO appellate body
Learn to Relax 学会放松
女性调查:你是企业管理层中的一员吗?
体坛英语资讯:Kenyan runners Kamworor, Jepkosgei win at New York Marathon
咖啡因药片是否安全?
“小贝”自传--看上去很美 读下去很难
拉登“粉丝”为其庆祝50岁生日
全国妇联:对女民工加强性教育
新研究:身边有植物的人活得更长
国际英语资讯:Feature: Anxious relatives, friends search for missing ones in horrific Delhi building fire
体坛英语资讯:Barca lose but stay top in Spain as Real and Atletico Madrid both drop points
国际英语资讯:Pompeo meets with Egyptian FM over regional issues, bilateral ties
不限 |
英语教案 |
英语课件 |
英语试题 |
不限 |
不限 |
上册 |
下册 |
不限 |