LONDON, Sept. 4 -- Queen Elizabeth's grandson Prince William and his wife Princess Catherine are expecting their third child, the royal couple announced Monday.
The couple's official spokesperson at their home, Kensington Palace in London, said Princess Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, had pulled out of an official engagement because of severe morning sickness.
In a brief statement posted on social media the palace said: "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting their third child."
Royal observers in London said the couple had hoped to keep details of the pregnancy private for a longer period of time, but the princess's illness had meant the announcement being brought forward.
The duchess had been due to visit the Hornsey Children's Center in London later on Monday.
Her spokesperson said Princess Catherine was being cared for at Kensington Palace.
Queen Elizabeth was said by Kensington Palace delighted to hear that her grandson and his wife would soon have a third child joining their two other children Prince George, four, and Princess Charlotte who is aged two.
A message posted from Clarence House in London, home of the heir to the British throne, Prince Charles, said he and his wife the Duchess of Cornwall, were delighted with the news.
Prince William's younger brother Prince Harry, on an official visit to Manchester, said he was "very, very happy with the fantastic news".
Prime Minister Theresa May was among the first public figure to welcome the announcement, saying: "This is fantastic news. Many congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge."
Media reports recalled that Princess Catherine, who is 35, suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum in her two previous pregnancies.
When the baby arrives he or she will become the fifth in line to the British throne, behind its grandfather Prince Charles, its father Prince William and siblings Prince George and Princess Charlotte.
The announcement sent social media sites into overdrive, with fans of the monarchy hailing the news.
Bookmakers William Hill offered odds of 33/1 for gamblers wanting a flutter that the Duchess will give birth to twins. Bets are also being taken on potential names, with Alice is the bookmakers' favorite if the baby is a girl, with James, Arthur and Phillip the favored boy's names.
国际英语资讯:UN chief reiterates global ceasefire appeal as world fights COVID-19
体坛英语资讯:Guardiola vows to stay at Man City despite UEFA ban
国内英语资讯:China Focus: Government offers bailout, voucher programs to stimulate restaurant industry
国际英语资讯:Irans coronavirus cases nudge 60,000 as slowdown continues; Israels tally crosses 8,000
体坛英语资讯:Early Sauls goal gives Atletico the edge against Liverpool in Champions League
国际英语资讯:Albanian govt urges compliance with anti-virus measures
国际英语资讯:Italys coronavirus cases near 120,000 with falling trend in new infections
国际英语资讯:Peruvian president announces new economic plan for businesses affected by COVID-19 pandemic
每日资讯播报(April 7)
英雄新传:武汉护士病愈后分享心得 主动捐献血浆并重返一线
国内英语资讯:East China province shares anti-virus experience with UK
国际英语资讯:Call for respecting confinement rules as Frances coronavirus deaths top 8,000
世卫组织要发布新冠官方app,避免谣言传播
国际英语资讯:COVID-19 cases in U.S. top 250,000: Johns Hopkins University
体坛英语资讯:Wolfsburg, Leverkusen reap 2-1 victory in Europa League
中国留学生成英国网红!每天更新疫情数据图,获英国卫生部点赞
国内英语资讯:Xi Focus: Xi leads national mourning for lives lost to COVID-19
不能出门游?别急,足不出户,也能遍览全球博物馆!
国际英语资讯:Feature: Japanese girl rewrites Chinese song to help fight COVID-19
体坛英语资讯:Sepahan lose to Al Sadd 3-0 in AFC Champions League
体坛英语资讯:Frankfurt upset Salzburg 4-1 in Europa League
亚马逊的Alexa现在能判断你感染新冠的风险
My New Shoes 我的新鞋
国内英语资讯:Interview: Namibia-China relations closer amid fight against COVID-19: ambassador
国际英语资讯:Ferry with 119 COVID-19 cases on board docks at Greeces Piraeus port
英雄新传:勇挑重担默默奉献,他们如何安全科学处理武汉医疗废弃物
体坛英语资讯:Federer to miss several leading tournaments due to knee surgery
印度开始把火车改造成方舱医院
国内英语资讯:More districts in Wuhan classified as low-risk area of COVID-19 outbreak
国际英语资讯:New York state governor says 1,000 ventilators coming from China