Tucked away in our subconsciousness is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are travelling by train. Out the windows, we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving on a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.
But the uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour, we will pull into the station. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we reach there, so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our lives will be fit together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes loitering, waiting, waiting, waiting for the station.
"When we reach the station, that will be it", we cry. "When I'm 18", "When I buy a new 450SL Mercedes Benz", "When I put my last kid through collage", "When I have paid off the mortgage", "When I get a promotion", "When I reach the age of the retirement, I shall live happily ever after."
Sooner or later, we must realize that there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.
"Relish the moment" is a good motto, especially when coupled withe the Psalm 118:24:"This is the day which the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it." It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tommorrow. Reget and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.
So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more icecreams, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more and cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. Then the station will come soon enough.
Lights! Camera! English! 灯光,摄像机,英语!
Are you a team player? 你是一名具有团队精神的人吗?
The daily commute 每天上下班
How to live longer 怎么才能长寿
Mobiles at the movies 在电影院里玩手机
How to become a billionaire 如何成为亿万富翁
White / blue-collar worker 白领,蓝领
Bored at work? Sue the boss! 工作无聊怪老板?
Are you addicted to your phone? 你是不是玩手机上瘾了?
Would you let your baby sleep in a box? 你愿意让自己的宝宝在盒子里睡觉吗?
To make a mountain out of a molehill 小题大做
Barefaced 厚颜无耻的
Brain training 如何训练大脑?
Closing the doors on paradise 为生态修复关闭旅游天堂岛屿
Can a lie-in make you healthier? 睡懒觉能让你更健康?
Why do we laugh? 为什么我们会笑?
Going forward 从今往后
Reunion? Count me out! 重聚? 别算上我!
Clean up your act 改邪归正
Until I'm blue in the face 任凭你磨破嘴皮