08 An Unlucky Day
08 倒霉的一天
When I got up this morning,I had a strange feeling that it just wasnt going to be my day.
今天早上起床时,我就有一种奇怪的感觉,那就是今天会诸事不顺。
First,because I got up late,I missed breakfast.
首先,因为我起得晚而错过了吃早餐。
Then,as I was dashing to the bus stop to catch my bus, I stepped on a banana peel,slipped and fell on my backside.
然后,我赶到公交车站乘公交车时,踩到了一块香蕉皮而滑倒,跌了个四脚朝天。
To make matters worse,the bus didnt stop for me because it was packed.
更糟糕的是,公交车因为客满而没有停下来让我上车。
I had no choice but to take a taxi.
我除了乘出租车之外别无选择。
Not until the taxi got to my school did I realize I had left my wallet at home.
直到出租车开到我学校时我才知道我把皮夹忘在家里了。
After I did a lot of explaining and apologizing, the driver let me go.
经过一连串的解释和道歉之后,那个司机才让我走。
Finally, I arrived at the school gate.
最后我来到了学校大门口。
To my astonishment, I suddenly realized it was a school holiday.
令我惊讶的是,我突然发现今天是学校假日。
It never rains but it pours.
真是祸不单行啊。
短语解析:
1.step on...踩在 之上;踩
例:Instead of braking,Sal likes to step on the gas when making turns.
转弯时,萨尔非但不踩刹车反倒喜欢踩油门。
2. To make matters worse ,S+V更糟糕的是,
例:My house has termites.To make matters worse,the pipes leak.
我的房子里有白蚁。更糟的是,水管还漏水。
termite n.白蚁
3. have no choice but to V 除了 之外别无选择
例:After marriage,Fran had no choice but to learn to cook.
结婚后,弗兰除了学做饭之外别无选择。
上一篇: Loss of Social Trust
下一篇: Seeing a Doctor看医生