If you don't believe that it pays to think before you speak, let me show you what a difference the right language tweakcan make。
如果你不相信三思而后言的说法,那就让我来告诉你“说对话”和“说错话”的区别有多大。
You know the difference between "I need more help around the house" and "You're so lazy," right? One is artful diplomacythe other, like bringing in the tanks. But the strategy involved in getting your point across also applies to individual words. For instance, if you're.。。
“我需要你帮忙收拾下屋子”和“你真是懒死了”,这两句话的区别你总能分辨得出来吧?前者是带有艺术感的外交辞令,后者则是挑起骂战的说法。不过,把话说到点子上的策略可以具体到每个用词上,比如:
...Offering constructive criticism
想要提供建设性意见
Instead of: "You did a nice job, but the report needs to be finished."
与其说:“你做得不错,但是记得把报告做完。”
Try: "You did a nice job, and the report needs to be finished."
不如说:“你做得不错,也请记得把报告做完。”
The subtext: No matter how positive the first part of the statement, the “but” negatesit. “But” might as well stand for “Beholdthe Underlying Truth”. Once people hear it, they're just waiting for the bad news。
潜台词:无论首句表达的意思多么积极,只要用了“但是”就否定了一切。一旦说话中出现了“但是”,就表示“注意说话人的话中话”。因此,一旦人们听到了“但是”,他们就会等着听后面的坏消息了。
...Asking your spouse to change a behavior
想要请求伴侣做出改变
Instead of: "Will you stop smoking for my sake?"
与其说:“你能不能为了我戒烟?”
Try: "Will you stop smoking for the sake of the kids?"
不如说:“你能不能为了孩子戒烟?”
The subtext: Your spousemay resentyour wanting to change his ways—and use that resentment as an excuse not to change. Putting the focus on a third party removes you from the equation. And focusing on children makes people think in terms of their ideal selves。
潜台词:你的伴侣可能已经厌烦了你总是期望他能改变,然后就用这种厌烦情绪来作为拒绝改变的借口。既然如此,那就就把焦点放在第三方,让自己从等式的两边摆脱出来。而把焦点放在孩子身上,会使人产生一种变成“理想的我”的想法。
...Presenting a problem to your boss
想要向老板提出问题
Instead of: "They have issues with the sales staff."
与其说:“他们觉得销售人员有问题。”
Try: "We have issues with the sales staff."
不如说:“我们觉得销售人员有问题。”
The subtext: Replacing “they” with “we” can change your outlookand the viewpoint of others. After all, if we're not part of the solution, we're part of the problem。
潜台词:用“我们”来代替“他们”可以改变你的立场和其他人的观点。毕竟,如果我们不是解决问题的一方,那就是制造问题的一方了。
...Trying to make someone see your side
想要别人理解你的观点
Instead of: "I know you wanted to surprise me, but changing our plans without warning me was stupid."
与其说:“我知道你想给我一个惊喜,但是不事先通知我们就改变计划,这么做很愚蠢。”
Try: "I know you wanted to surprise me, but changing our plans without warning me was not helpful."
不如说:“我知道你想给我一个惊喜,但是不事先通知我们就改变计划,这么做帮助不大。”
The subtext: As President Obama learned the hard way this summer in discussing the arrestof Henry Louis Gates Jr., stupid is an inflammatoryword. Rather than labeling others' actions, conveythe effect of those actions。
潜台词:奥巴马总统在今年夏天关于小亨利-路易斯-盖茨被铺一事中学到的惨痛教训就是,“愚蠢”是一个具有煽动性的词汇。与其给别人的行动贴上标签,不如客观地表达这些行为背后的影响。
2018年12月英语六级易考范文: 我对国家公共假期变化的看法
深夜的无名骑士
Sleep Early 早睡
国内英语资讯:China Focus: Body donation more acceptable among young Chinese
体坛英语资讯:Ghana gearing up for Africa Womens Cup of Nations
I am Happy 我很开心
Happiness Is Around Me 幸福在身边
英语六级易考范文:我对学生贷款制度的看法
2018年12月英语六级易考范文:信用
女人比男人更容易头疼,你猜为什么
国际英语资讯:Spotlight: Moscows oil claim points to problems with Ankara on Syria
这个经典心理学实验,说明人类很容易被操纵
英语四级作文答案:试卷二 留学的挑战(新东方版)
体坛英语资讯:Celta sack Argentine coach Antonio Mohamed
国内英语资讯:China to help graduate job-seekers
2018年12月英语六级易考范文:京剧成为必修课的一部分
睡得太多可能不利于你的健康!
2018年12月英语四级作文预测:校园活动
购物竟然能减龄?10个神奇的减龄习惯
2018年12月英语六级易考范文:经济危机的影响
国内英语资讯:Chinas securities watchdog punishes illegal market operations
国际英语资讯:14 injured as high-speed train derails in S.Korea
国内英语资讯:Chinese senior official meets former Australian prime minister
2018年12月英语六级易考范文:互联网和隐私
国际英语资讯:Africa 2018 Forum kicks off in Egypts Sharm el Sheikh amid high development, economic expec
印度尼西亚的天空变成了血红色,这状况也太可怕了
国际英语资讯:Six die in nightclub stampede in central Italy
2018年12月英语六级易考范文:担任教学志愿者
国内英语资讯:Top political advisor highlights basic research, original innovation
国际英语资讯:Astana, other peace processes fail due to Damascus: U.S. envoy
不限 |
英语教案 |
英语课件 |
英语试题 |
不限 |
不限 |
上册 |
下册 |
不限 |