LONDON, Sept. 14 -- Local police on Saturday checked the scene of cheeky thieves who stole a solid gold toilet worth 1.25 million U.S. dollars from one of Britain's grandest stately homes, Blenheim Palace.
An 18-carat solid gold toilet has been stolen in a burglary overnight at Blenheim Palace.
The toilet was installed as an art project at the palace, famed as the birthplace of Britain's war time prime minister Winston Churchill, now home of the Duke of Marlborough.
The theft was discovered just two days after the golden bowl was fitted in a toilet suite at Blenheim Palace.
Police believe a gang of burglars broke into the palace, they ripped the toilet from its fittings and escaped in vehicles, causing a trail of significant damage and flooding.
Called America, the 18-carat lavatory was the crowning glory of a new exhibition by the renowned Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan.
The toilet attracted huge crowds when it first went in show at New York's Guggenheim museum in 2016,
The toilet was even connected to the palace's water system so that visitors could, to use an English idiom, "spend a penny" providing they completed the toilet visit within three minutes.
The palace was closed Saturday as police officers scoured the scene of the crime, with media reports saying one man had been arrested.
A Palace official said: "We are saddened by this extraordinary event, but also relieved no-one was hurt."
Detective Inspector Jess Milne of Thames Valley Police said: "The piece of art that has been stolen is a high value toilet made out of gold that was on display at the palace.
"Due to the toilet being plumbed in to the building, this has caused significant damage and flooding. We believe a group offenders used at least two vehicles during the
"The artwork has not been recovered at this time but we are conducting a thorough investigation to find it and bring those responsible to justice."
Thames Valley Police said later a 66 years old man has been arrested in connection with the incident and remains in police custody.
Blenheim Palace said Saturday night the palace will open as usual on Sunday, with the rest Cattelan's artwork on display until Oct. 27.
The palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, was built as a gift to the first Duke of Marlborough from Queen Anne as a thank you for his victory at the Battle of Blenheim in 1704. It is now one of Britain's biggest tourist attractions.
转基因食品将有“强制性标识”
“个人征信业务”市场放开在即
老龄办发布“老年人防诈骗指南”
盘点2017:中国外交新理念
国家统计局数据显示楼市“触底”
微软停止对Windows 7提供“主流支持”
党内决不容忍“拉帮结派”
全国中小学生获得正式学籍号
国务院发文规范“税收优惠政策”
百度下架违规“涉黄APP”
姚贝娜离世 预防“乳腺癌”成焦点
2017达沃斯论坛主题“全球新局势”
苏黎世将建“人民币离岸市场”
中国首次发布“高速铁路设计规范”
法国设“哀悼日”并“降半旗”
传统日历遇冷 “定制日历”走俏
春运“第三方评价”
南水北调中线沿线城市启动“水质监测”
今年“社会融资”或达18万亿
你的朋友圈“信息流广告”是什么?
中央机关公务员开领“车补”
养老金“并轨”
反腐追逃:我国已批准36个“引渡条约”
广电总局拟推“电视剧分级制”
纳税人将有个人“税号”
陕西大熊猫感染“犬瘟热”
高考新规有望打破“唯分数论”
赛百味被曝“篡改食品标签”
习大大:年轻人不要老“熬夜”
女童因“窗口期”感染
| 不限 |
| 英语教案 |
| 英语课件 |
| 英语试题 |
| 不限 |
| 不限 |
| 上册 |
| 下册 |
| 不限 |