CAIRO, Nov. 25 -- The Egyptian airstrikes hit a number of vehicles of terrorists involved in the deadly attack on a mosque in North Sinai province, killing all therein, said the Egyptian military spokesman in a statement on Friday midnight.
"In addition, the air forces targeted a number of hideouts containing weapons and ammunition that belong to the extremists," said military spokesman Tamer al-Refaay in the statement.
The military raids came several hours after a terrorist attack on Friday noon against a mosque at a small village in North Sinai that killed at least 235 worshippers and wounded over 100 others. It is the first terrorist operation to target a Muslim mosque in Egypt's modern history.
Terror attacks started to rise in Egypt following the military ouster of former President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 in response to mass protests against his one-year rule and his currently outlawed Muslim Brotherhood group.
Since then, most of the attacks focused on restive North Sinai and killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers, before they later started to extend to other provinces and target the Coptic minority in their churches.
Now they started to target the Muslim worshipers at mosques for the first time, which is an uNPRecedented development in terrorist tactics in the country according to security experts.
Fingers are pointed at a Sinai-based group loyal to the Islamic State (IS) regional terrorist group, which has claimed most of the large terrorist operations in Egypt over the past few years and whose affiliates are currently facing massive security crackdown in Syria and Iraq.
President Sisi said in a televised speech Friday evening that "this mean, sinful terrorist attack will only increase our strength, resolution and unity in our fight against terrorism," vowing that "we will respond fiercely against this minor group of extremists and terrorists."
The Egyptian president received phone calls on Friday from many world leaders who offered their condolences over the tragic attack and voiced their support for the North African country in its war against terrorism.
体坛英语资讯:Storm Clara sees Man City game postponed, Sheffield United and Everton win
国内英语资讯:China to step up prevention of epidemic rebound, imported COVID-19 cases
The Return of Green 绿色的复原
国际英语资讯:Irans COVID-19 cases approach 30,000, as Saudi-hosted G20 summit calls for joint efforts t
国内英语资讯:Chinese vice premier stresses treatment of severe COVID-19 patients in Wuhan
结婚可能无益于未婚妈妈脱贫
My Favorite Entertainment--Skating 我最喜欢的娱乐活动——滑冰
国际英语资讯:New Zealand confirms 76 new cases of COVID-19
国际英语资讯:Spotlight: European nations ramp up responses to contain COVID-19 as WHO calls for unity
体坛英语资讯:Coxsey named as Britains first ever Olympic climber
国内英语资讯:Xi Focus: Xi calls for all-out global war against COVID-19 at extraordinary G20 summit
男子零下38度跑马拉松 挑战世界纪录
体坛英语资讯:Chinese driver Zhou Guanyu promoted as Renault test driver
在卫生纸出现之前,人们如厕用什么?
海洋里的塑料垃圾正在失踪,但这并不是好事
国际英语资讯:Italys COVID-19 cases total 74,386, death toll reaches 7,503
极端严寒天气席卷美国 芝加哥变身“芝伯利亚”
美国58岁妇女生完女儿又生孙女
国际英语资讯:UN launches COVID-19 global humanitarian response plan
体坛英语资讯:Inter beat Milan 4-2, show support to China in battle against novel coronavirus
国际英语资讯:Guterres warns of losing COVID-19 war as UN agencies continue relentless efforts
国内英语资讯:Chinas top legislator calls for improving public health legislation, law revision
体坛英语资讯:Chinas top player Ding reaches last 32 at Snooker Welsh Open
“粉丝代替核弹” 美国驻俄大使玩转“数字外交”
国际英语资讯:Coronavirus claims over 8,000 lives in Italy with 80,539 cumulative cases
如何缓解疫情期间社交隔离产生的焦虑感?
体坛英语资讯:Analysis: Leipzig back in its favored underdog role
国内英语资讯:Across China: Chinese universities adopt online dissertation defense to ensure on-time gradu
The Lucky Me 幸运的我
体坛英语资讯:Ghana Rugby to re-strategize for the future