SANAA, Oct. 20 -- A UN cease-fire monitoring mission in Yemen's Hodeidah on Sunday began establishing control points to monitor a truce between Yemeni warring parties, a security source in the city said.
The temporary control points would be set up on four front lines in the east and south of the city to prevent escalation between the government forces and the Houthi rebels, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The control points would be manned by liaison officers from both warring parties in accordance with a UN-sponsored cease-fire agreement reached in Stockholm in December 2018.
Abhijit Guha, the newly-appointed head of the UN monitoring mission, who arrived in Hodeidah last week, oversees the progress.
Hodeidah is the main Yemeni port city on the Red Sea and key lifeline entry of most Yemen's commercial imports and humanitarian aid.
The grinding war of more than four years has pushed over 20 million people to the verge of starvation.
Iran-allied Houthi rebels control much of Hodeidah while the Saudi-backed government troops have advanced to the southeastern districts.
The cease-fire deal was seen as the first phase toward achieving a comprehensive political solution to end the civil war.
利物浦,AC米兰晋级半决赛
Charlton suffers relegation in Premiership
China sweeps board in TT Worlds, Wang Liqin crowned
Chinese unbeatable in TT Worlds
China coach gets Asian Cup ultimatum
Rooney strikes as Man United go six points clear
Bosh helps Raptors top Nets, even series
全国伤残运动会在昆明开幕
贝克汉姆回到皇马进行复仇战
教练:陈宏的回归对中国是个坏消息
Rain hits French Open, interrupting most matches
Ohio States Oden plans to enter draft
HK shuttler wins first match at Singapore Open
Man U seeks alternative after Malaysia tour called off
Du Li shoots down a gold in ISSF World Cup
中国在亚洲锦标赛中获得三枚金牌
Rematches, returns on tap in NBA playoffs
贝克汉姆准备开战皇家马德里
莎拉波娃因伤退出意大利公开赛
Brazilian player booked for kissing ref