WASHINGTON, Aug. 9 -- As accusations grew over U.S. reported support of the Saudi-led coalition in the recent attack in Yemen that had caused huge civilian casualties, U.S. State Department on Thursday urged to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the airstrikes.
In a press briefing, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said although Washington does not have full details of the attacks on the ground, it is certainly "concerned about" the reports of civilian casualties in the war-torn Middle East nation.
"We call on the Saudi-led coalition to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the incident. We take all credible accounts of civilian casualties very seriously. We call on the parties to take appropriate measures to protect civilians in accordance with international law and urge all parties to investigate all reported incidents of civilian casualties," she said.
Washington has been reportedly provided weapons, training and targeting data to Saudi Arabia that had facilitated the attacks.
As questions has also mounted over the Saudi-led coalition's earlier assertion that the attacks had been conducted in accordance with international law, the call for further investigation into the issue by independent bodies has been rising.
Nauert dodged the questions, only saying that "we regret any loss of civilian life" and "Saudi Arabia is an important strategic partner in the region to the United States."
At least 43 civilians, mostly children, were killed on Thursday when Saudi-led coalition air strikes hit buses in Yemen's northern province of Saada.
The Saudi-led coalition later defended the airstrike as "legitimate" response to a deadly Houthi attack on the Saudi border city Jazan.
Houthi spokesman Mohammed Abdulsalam mocked the statement, saying "this is a war crime."
Henrietta Fore, head of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), strongly condemned the airstrike.
"Attacks on children are absolutely unacceptable," said Fore. "I'm horrified by the reported airstrike on innocent children, some with UNICEF backpacks. Enough is enough."
"Attacking children is the lowest any party of this conflict can go," UNICEF Yemen Resident Representative Meritxell Relano told UN News. "There is no justification whatsoever to attacking children."
The Saada attack was the latest in a series of recent airstrikes against civilians launched by the Saudi-led coalition on Yemen.
Last week, the Saudi-led coalition airstrikes struck the gate of al-Thawra hospital and adjacent fish market in Yemen's Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, killing 52 civilians and wounding 102 others.
Saudi Arabia has led an Arab military coalition that had intervened in the Yemen war since 2017 to support the government of exiled President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
Tokyo's stance 'unacceptable'
Ancient villages welcome investors
Students encouraged to leave parents behind
Wealthy Chinese charter flights to watch Olympics
'Food will cost more' due to US drought
Olympic-themed lottery debuts
Shenzhen ponders bad-behavior law
Fugitive suspect returns to China
Archeologists may have found model for Mona Lisa
Police turn to Internet, TV to catch fugitives
Major hacking syndicate cracked, police say
New Jersey guy Christie has double-edged appeal
Attitude toward sex, pregnancy changing
12 people die when van crashes into back of parked truck in Sichuan
40 injured after Foxconn plant clashes
King of the rings doesn't come easy
Organizers brace for social-media nightmares sure to come
Military dismisses islands war fear
Spanish 'Robin Hood' an anti-austerity hero
Lawyers calling for reform of laojiao system
UK stores try to get Chinese lovers in the mood
Usain Bolt team: 'True Hero' trademark is a non-starter
France seeks to become more inviting to immigrants
Fukushima caused 'mutant butterflies'
Beijing flood death toll hits 77
Armstrong back in the saddle after banning
Blackout hits more than 300 million in India
S. Korea's Lee apologizes for graft scandal
'New law' focuses on work permits
Iran doctors struggle with quake injuries