1. She suffers from impostor syndrome, still.
她觉得自己有“骗子综合症”(患者纵然功成名就,也依然无法内化自己所取得的成就)。
“I’m still insecure about my own worthiness,” Portman said, telling the audience that at the time she was admitted to Harvard, she “felt like there had been some mistake, that I wasn’t smart enough to be in this company, that I would have to prove I wasn’t some dumb actress.”
波特曼告诉听众说,刚被哈佛大学录取的时候,"我仍怀疑自己的价值,我觉得一定是哪儿出错了、在这里我不够聪明,我必须要证明自己并不是花瓶演员。”
2. And if you suffer from impostor syndrome? Don’t. Seriously.
如果你也觉得有“骗子综合症”。千万别这样。真的。
“You are here for a reason,” she said.
“你能来到这儿一定是有原因的”,娜塔莉说。
3. Not having any clue what you’re doing can be a blessing in disguise.
有时候不知道自己在做什么并不一定就是坏事。
“You can harness that inexperience to carve out your own path, one that is free of the burden of knowing how things are supposed to be.”
“你能利用这种经验的缺乏开拓出自己的路,其中(的好处)之一便是对于事情该如何进展全无负担。”
4. You can learn great life lessons in teeny-tiny sushi restaurants.
在小小的寿司餐馆里你也能学到大道理。
Speaking about a recent trip to Tokyo and a memorable meal there, Portman said, “It’s not about quantity; it’s about taking pleasure in the perfection and beauty of the particular.”
谈到最近去日本的一次旅行和在那儿享受了难以忘记的一餐,波特曼说道:“这不在于是多是少,而在于从其完美和美感中获得快乐。”
5.She still remembers the mean things a New York Times reporter said about her first film.
波特曼还记得《纽约时报》一名记者对于她电影处女作撰写的刻薄评论。
“Ms. Portman poses better than she acts” was the diss that Natalie recalled word-for-word during her speech. (Geez, New York Times. She was 12! Harsh, much?)
娜塔莉在演讲中一字不差地回忆到那个评论,“波特曼小姐造型摆的要比她演的好”。
6. Inexperience can be as good as courage.
经验不足也因勇气而成为一件好事。
“I didn’t recognize risks as risks,” she said of the gutsy career moves she made out of ignorance rather than bravery. “Make use of the fact that you don’t doubt yourself too much right now.”
我并不把冒险看做普通意义上的冒险,”波特曼说她事业上大胆的前行都是因为出于无知而非胆量,“在你还没有过多怀疑自己的时候好好利用这一点吧。”
7. And you can write any story you want on a blank slate.
你可以在白纸上写任何你想写的故事。
“Your inexperience can lead you down a path where you [either] confirm to someone else’s values, or where you make something wholly yours,” Portman said.
波特曼说:“你的经验不足引领你走上这样的路:要么是迎合别人的价值,要么就是你形成自己的价值。”
8. Making time to do good works is worth it.
腾出时间来做好事是值得的。
“It’s a cliche because it’s true: that helping others ends up helping you more than anyone.”
“尽管这是老生常谈,但的确在理:帮助他人最终会更多地帮助到自己。”
9. And finally, the friends you make in college are ones you should hang onto.
最后,在大学时期交到的朋友是值得你好好维持的。
“Grab the good people around you,” Portman said. “Don’t let them go.”
波特曼说:“牢牢抓住你身边的好人,别把他们放走了。”
上一篇: 英文原版小说看不下去?手把手教你读
下一篇: 如何提高阅读能力?KWL阅读方法来助力
国际英语资讯:Governor of Indias Tamil Nadu state tests positive for COVID-19
国内英语资讯:China urges U.S. to withdraw Xinjiang-related sanctions
国际英语资讯:Sudan, Egypt, Ethiopia resume Nile Dam talks
国外“硬核”抗疫标语流行,脑洞大开,土味又温情……
国内英语资讯:Chinas central bank pledges continued opening-up of financial industry
乐购仕将关闭半数门店
每日一词∣深化医药卫生体制改革 deepen reform of medicine and healthcare system
新冠疫情催生的这些新词都是什么意思?
国内英语资讯:Xi Focus-Quotable Quotes: Xi Jinping on strengthening military
国际英语资讯:Thai PM orders urgent relief measures for flood victims
Dragon Boat Festival 端午节
国际英语资讯:Italy inaugurates new Genoa bridge two years after collapse
国内英语资讯:Spotlight: Postponement of HKSAR LegCo election protects peoples welfare: Hong Kong legal
世界最长海底高铁隧道技术方案准备就绪!甬舟铁路有望年底开建
国内英语资讯:Major north China port switches to BeiDou navigation system
调查:企业缩减办公面积 从市中心向郊区转移
每日一词∣农民专业合作社 specialized farmers cooperatives
听说你得了《小白船》PTSD? 恐怖童谣不止这一首
研究:英国新冠疫情或存在1300多个不同源头
红糖是red sugar?这些关于颜色的词你都用对了吗?