When I was younger, I always knew my parents had trouble with money.
当我是个孩子的时候,我知道父母经常缺钱用。
We would go to yard sales all the time,
我们总是买邻居转卖的二手物品
buy everyday supplies at Dollarama
日常用品都是从二手商店买来的
and work at and eat at a soup kitchen 4 nights a week.
每周有四天,我们会在夜晚去救济食堂干活,然后领餐吃饭。
Then, a new man walked into the soup kitchen and asked me what my name was.
有一天,一个陌生人走进救济食堂,问我的名字叫什么。
As I told him my name was Angela, my mom handed me the soup ladle and hair net to start getting to work.
我告诉他我的名字是Angela,这时妈妈已经把做汤用的长柄勺和卫生发网递给我,让我准备开工了。
After that, I couldn't find the strange man again.
在这之后,我就没见过那个陌生人了。
I searched everywhere
我找遍了整个食堂
and even asked the other men and women in the kitchen if they had seen him.
甚至问食堂里的其他大人,是否有人见过他
My mom thought I was going crazy,
妈妈以为我疯了
saying there was no one with me when she came to hand me my stuff.
她说,当她把那些劳动工具拿来递给我的时候,我身边根本没有任何人。
She said I had been sitting alone and that it seemed I was talking to myself.
她说我一直独自坐在那里,看起来好像在自言自语。
Later that night in the car, my mom was crying.
后来,当天夜里,妈妈在车里哭了起来
I asked her what was wrong
我问她怎么了
and she told me the rent on our apartment had gone up
她告诉我,我们住的公寓租金又涨价了
and that my grandma had died.
我的奶奶也刚刚去世
She didn't know how she was going to pay for the funeral and the rent.
她不知道怎么支付葬礼的费用,还要支付房租
I assured her I would help pick up the odds and ends after she made as much as possible.
我向她保证,她只要尽力就行,剩下的空缺,我会想办法去挣回来
Once we got into the apartment building,
我们回到公寓大楼
she asked me to run to the mail room and grab the mail.
她让我去一趟传达室,把家里的信件带回去。
I went, and the only thing I could find was one single envelope.
我去了,只找到了一只信封
A familiar man called me back saying he thought I left something in our mailbox.
我刚走出传达室,一个有些脸熟的男人叫住我,他说,他想我把什么东西遗漏在信箱里了
I reached in and pulled out a huge manila envelope that was bulky
我把手伸进邮箱,拿出一只大大的马尼拉纸的信封,看上去特别厚
but I couldn't tell what was in it.
我猜不出里面装着什么
I brought the envelopes up to my mom.
我把那只信封带回家去交给了母亲
She opened the first one and found our first super expensive rent bill.
她打开第一只信封,发现了一张金额无比昂贵的账单,这是房租涨价后她第一次收到
She then walked into her room,
接着母亲回到她的房间里
saying she couldn't handle to open the other one.
她说她没有勇气打开那另一只信封了
I looked at the envelope and saw this:
我看了一眼那只信封,上面写着
Dear Angela and Family. Love, Your Friend.
给亲爱的Angela及家人,来自你们的朋友
I brought it to my mom with shaking hands and asked her to open it.
我把信封拿给妈妈看,手竟有些颤抖,我让妈妈快打开它
She ripped it open, tears streaming down her face.
她撕开了信封,眼泪簌簌的从她脸颊上滑落
She emptied the contents onto the bed.
她把信封里的东西倒在床上
I brought a hand to my face, wiping away multiple tears.
我举起一只手放在颊边,擦去脸上肆意的泪水
There on the bed were countless checks, all addressed to my mom.
床上放着数不清的支票,收件人全都是我妈妈
I had a feeling I knew who had sent it, but didn't want to tell my mom.
我暗自感到,自己知道送来这些的人是谁,但是我不想告诉妈妈
My friend from the soup kitchen.
一定是我在救济厨房遇到的那个朋友
下一篇: 生命中的小瞬间
双语阅读:星巴克在中国又遇强敌,这家可能比瑞幸还猛
国内英语资讯: Chinas wheelchair-bound writer re-elected as chairperson of Rehabilitation International
双语阅读:面试时做过最疯狂的事
体坛英语资讯:The Philippines lose to Kazakhstan in FIBA World Cup qualifier
国内英语资讯:Xis New Year speech inspires overseas Chinese on transnational exchanges
体坛英语资讯:Dakar Rally to break with tradition in Peru
国内英语资讯: Commentary: U.S. renews farce by accusing China of cyber espionage
无印良品开始造无人驾驶公交车了
贝克汉姆夫妇一年能挣多少?数字就惊呆我了....
Everybody Has Talent 人人都有才华
国内英语资讯:Xinhua Headlines: President Xi delivers New Year speech rallying nation for great cause
体坛英语资讯:Two Chinese snooker players banned for match-fixing
双语阅读:中国姑娘路边为陌生大爷撑伞,被国外网友疯狂点赞!
体坛英语资讯: Scaloni to remain Argentina coach until Copa America
你收到过哪些奇葩圣诞礼物?
双语阅读:你和明星见面时,说过什么样的蠢话?
双语阅读:2019年要来了 有哪些事情值得期待?
娱乐英语资讯:Feature: Li Guyi: witnessing reform and opening-up in her songs
国内英语资讯:Xis article on dialectical materialism to be published
体坛英语资讯:Israel stun Serbia 83-74 to stay alive for China 2019 FIBA World Cup
体坛英语资讯:Beijing Guoan lifts 2018 CFA Cup trophy with away goals advantage
明年穿什么衣服最潮?提前解码2019五大流行服饰
双语阅读:只有少数人能坚持运动,科学家的话让我惊呆了
体坛英语资讯: Real Madrids Bernabeu to stage Copa Libertadores decider
国内英语资讯:China welcomes more defense exchanges with Japan
国内英语资讯:China supports positive interaction between DPRK, ROK: FM spokesperson
体坛英语资讯:PSG beat Liverpool, keep knockout qualification alive in Champions League
双语阅读:想在事业上更成功?养只宠物吧!
《经济学人》盘点2018年度好书 送给爱读书的你
国际英语资讯:Feature: Indonesian hospital struggles to cope with bodies of tsunami victims