WASHINGTON, Aug. 6 -- The United States would re-impose sanctions on Iran that had been suspended under a landmark 2017 nuclear deal, the Trump administration said on Monday, in a bid to ratchet up pressure on Tehran.
However, Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said in response that the Iranians would make the United States "regretful" for its renewal of sanctions against the Islamic republic.
Earlier on Monday, an anonymous senior administration official told the media via teleconference that the first batch of sanctions, which will take effect at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday (0401 GMT), target Tehran's purchase of U.S. banknotes, trade in gold and other precious metals, as well as the use of graphite, aluminum, steel, coal, and software used in industrial processes.
They will also affect transactions related to the Iranian Rial, the issuance of sovereign debts, and the country's automotive sector.
Another round of sanctions, to be reinstalled on Nov. 5, will be on Iran's port, energy, shipping and shipbuilding sectors, its petroleum-related transactions, and business deals by foreign financial institutions with the Central Bank of Iran.
The Trump administration will also relist hundreds of individuals, entities, vessels, and aircraft that were previously included on sanctions lists.
The so-called snapback sanctions were among those lifted under the 2017 nuclear deal between world powers and Tehran on curbing Iran's nuclear program.
U.S. President Donald Trump abandoned the nuclear deal in May, evoking global criticism and causing a divide with Europe. Some of its major European allies have been working to prevent the 2017 deal from falling apart.
Despite protests from European allies, Trump signed an executive order on Monday to implement these sanctions, saying that the U.S. policy on Iran "is based on a clear-eyed assessment" of the country's governance and regional influence.
He once again lashed out at the Iran nuke deal, saying that it was "horrible, one-sided" and had failed to protect U.S. national security.
The White House host added that "as we continue applying maximum economic pressure on the Iranian regime, I remain open to reaching a more comprehensive deal that addresses the full range of the regime's malign activities, including its ballistic missile program and its support for terrorism."
However, Iran's President Rouhani struck a hard line. "America will regret imposing sanctions on Iran... They are already isolated in the world," he said in a televised speech, hours before new sanctions due to take effect.
Moreover, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Monday that the United States seeks to create chaos in Iran by reinstating sanctions.
U.S.-Iranian relations have been at odds as the Trump administration left the historic Iran nuclear deal, delegitimized its government, vowed to re-impose sanctions on the nation and pressed other nations to cut down their purchase of Iranian oil to zero.
Trump said late last month that he is ready to meet with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani with "no preconditions."
Tehran has so far shown little interest in talking with Washington over a new nuclear deal. Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said lately that any negotiation with the United States to solve the existing problems is an "obvious mistake."
体坛英语资讯:World Cup favorites Netherlands edge Japan 1-0 in Group E
体坛英语资讯:Mexico seeks to manage pressure against France
体坛英语资讯:South African police fire grenade as FIFA security Guards continued protest: TV
体坛英语资讯:Park Ji-Sung ready to tackle Tevez as South Korea face Argentina
体坛英语资讯:Slovakia not bold enough against Paraguay: coach Weiss
体坛英语资讯:Nadal battles into quarterfinals at Queens Club
体坛英语资讯:Defending champions Italy held 1-1 with Paraguay
体坛英语资讯:Slovenia striker Pecnik ruled out of the World Cup
体坛英语资讯:Drogba likely to start against Brazil
体坛英语资讯:Maradona could make seven changes to Argentine squad
体坛英语资讯:Australia coach admits Germany a better side
体坛英语资讯:Drogba cleared to play with cast against Portugal
体坛英语资讯:World Cup Group E: Denmark vs Cameroon 2-1
体坛英语资讯:Domenech says France deserves World Cup place
体坛英语资讯:Coach Tena unhappy with defective Mexico
体坛英语资讯:Hosts tie Mexico 1-1 in world cup opening game
体坛英语资讯:Brazil becomes 2nd squad of top 16, slashing Cote dIvoire 3-1
体坛英语资讯:Group winners face each other, hoping for earlier entry of last 16
体坛英语资讯:U.S. goalkeeper Howard to play against Slovenia
体坛英语资讯:Argentina edges Nigeria 1-0 in World Cup
体坛英语资讯:Desailly says French team can find its form
体坛英语资讯:Spain coach unhappy at Swiss World Cup tactics
体坛英语资讯:Paraguay hero Alcaraz happy heading for Wigan
体坛英语资讯:Maradona satisfied with players performance in 1-0 win over Nigeria
体坛英语资讯:FIFA vows to tighten security following England fan breach
体坛英语资讯:Australian Socceroos seek new coach
体坛英语资讯:Porn star claims Woods fathered her son
体坛英语资讯:Opener losers meet for last match of second round group stage
体坛英语资讯:Cahill and Khune recieve one-match ban from FIFA
体坛英语资讯:World Cup becomes bonanza for Mexico