UNITED NATIONS, July 5 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday once again appealed for an immediate suspension of the hostilities in southwestern Syria and the resumption of negotiations to appease the situation.
Speaking through his spokesperson Stephane Dujarric, Guterres expressed concern by the resumption of the military offensive in the area and its continued devastating impact on civilians.
Nearly 150 civilians have been killed since the strikes in the area began, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
An estimated 750,000 lives are in danger and up to 325,000 people have been displaced as a result of the latest round of violence in southwestern Syria, said UN humanitarian tally.
The secretary-general also expressed support to the statement by UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi.
"Clearly, the most immediate priority is to find a political solution to the conflict and spare Syrian civilians further suffering," Grandi said earlier Thursday.
The high commissioner also advocated for granting temporary refuge in Jordan to those in need of safety and for the international community to provide immediate and substantive support to Jordan.
Among the displaced, some 60,000 people are camping at the Nasib/Jaber border crossing between Syria and Jordan.
Guterres called on all parties to take all necessary measures to safeguard civilian lives, allow freedom of movement, and protect civilian infrastructure, in accordance with international humanitarian law and international human rights law.
He further reiterated his call for the UN to be allowed to conduct humanitarian deliveries without further delay.
Last Friday, Guterres for the first time urged an immediate cessation of the military operations since the recent escalation of hostilities in southwestern Syria.
UN special envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura has recently warned that a full-scale battle in the country's previously calm southwest could engulf an area and population the size of eastern Ghouta and Aleppo combined.
国际英语资讯:My deal or no deal, defiant PM May says in Brexit speech to the nation
浙江将会引进直播课堂来缩小城乡教育差异
过马路请小心!韩国设激光束警示装置提醒低头族
国内英语资讯:Factbox: Chinas fruitful economic cooperation with Italy, Monaco, France
国内英语资讯:China vows deeper VAT reform to boost economic vitality
体坛英语资讯:Barca travel to face the only side to beat them in the Camp Nou this season
国内英语资讯:Licensed social workers in Shanghai hits record high
国际英语资讯:Pompeo discusses Hezbollah with Lebanese officials
体坛英语资讯:FIFA agrees to work with Qatar on 48-team World Cup in 2022
体坛英语资讯:Wushu championships kick off in New York
Instagram推出网购功能,冲动消费从未如此方便
国际英语资讯:Tunisian president urges politics to show responsibilities
娱乐英语资讯:Chinese pianist Lang Lang gives concert in Madrid
国际英语资讯:State lawmaker injured by gunmen in northern India
中国人对奶酪的兴趣开始发酵
体坛英语资讯:World top figure skaters to challenge Yuzuru Hanyu at Worlds
国内英语资讯:Interview: Italy-China partnership rests on solid foundations, says Italian president
体坛英语资讯:Interview: Chinese companies can be key player in African football-related business: Lagardè
国际英语资讯:May 22 would be new Brexit day if British PMs approve withdrawal deal next week -- Tusk
国内英语资讯:UK-China initiative funds poverty alleviation project in northwest China
我国科学家发现了可抑制HIV扩散的蛋白质
国内英语资讯:China to provide humanitarian aid to cyclone-hit Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi
体坛英语资讯:Yuzuru Hanyu arrives at Japan, misses first day of practice at Saitama Worlds
国内英语资讯:President Xi meets Harvard president
以史为鉴,民主党暂且放弃弹劾特朗普
国内英语资讯:Chinese president arrives in Italy for state visit
国内英语资讯:Chinas top legislator meets U.S. delegation
国内英语资讯:Chinese, Italian presidents agree to promote greater development of ties
体坛英语资讯:Andreescu continues amazing run at Indian Wells, to face Kerber in final
国际英语资讯:Brazils ex-President Michel Temer arrested in corruption investigation
| 不限 |
| 英语教案 |
| 英语课件 |
| 英语试题 |
| 不限 |
| 不限 |
| 上册 |
| 下册 |
| 不限 |