ROME, Aug. 18 -- Thousands of people gathered in the northwest Italian city of Genoa on Saturday to mourn the victims of a dramatic bridge collapse that killed dozens of people earlier this week.
After the state funeral, new emergency funding worth 28.47 million euros (32.49 million U.S. dollars) were approved to implement urgent interventions in the region.
The state funeral was held in a pavilion of the city's Fair and Exhibition center at the presence of the country's top officials. It was broadcast live by all national TV networks in the country.
Some 19 coffins covered by flowers were laid out for the state ceremony, while another 20 families of victims opted for private funerals in their hometowns.
Near some of the coffins, relatives left everyday items to recall their loved ones, such as a child's soccer ball, or a beach umbrella.
Among the victims were Italians from across the country, but also people from France, Albania, Romania, Colombia, Chile, and Peru, according to data by the prefecture.
All of them were driving through Genoa's Morandi Bridge shortly before noon on Tuesday, when the mid-portion of the huge viaduct suddenly collapsed, sending dozens of vehicles plunging 45 meters to the ground.
"The collapse of the Morandi Bridge has caused a gash in the heart of Genoa," the city's archbishop, Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, who led the ceremony, said.
"Genoa is in the gaze of the world, in a strong hug full of emotion and affection," he added, referring to the countless signs of solidarity received from across Italy and abroad.
The funeral was attended by President Sergio Mattarella, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, and several cabinet ministers, along with major officials from other public institutions.
Some 4,000 people overall crowded the pavilion.
When a delegation of firefighters entered to pay their respect to the victims, a long applause broke out as a sign of gratitude for their relentless search and rescue efforts since the tragedy occurred.
Since two Albanian victims were of Islamic faith, the Imam of Genoa also joined the ceremony and led a pray at the end of the catholic mass.
"There are now three major commitments to be honored," Mattarella said in an official note after the funeral.
"Firstly, support to the relatives of the victims, to the injured ones, and to the families who had to leave their homes for security reasons," he stated.
A second prior commitment was "a rigorous and prompt ascertainment of responsibility."
"Furthermore, (there is) the duty to ensure the safety of roads and transports: these obligations are towards Genoa and the whole country," Mattarella said.
After the state funeral, PM Conte called a cabinet meeting at Genoa's prefecture, which approved new emergency funding worth 28.47 million euros.
The amount "corresponds to that requested by the Liguria Region to implement urgent interventions on alternative roads, viability system, and housing for families that had to leave their homes due to the risk of (further) collapse," the PM's office said in a statement.
Regional governor Giovanni Toti told reporters after the cabinet meeting these funds would add to 5 million euros allocated by the central government in the immediate aftermath of the disaster.
The unofficial death toll of the bridge collapse rose to 43, as four bodies were recovered on Saturday, and a Romanian man rescued died of his injures at Genoa's San Martino hospital.
Up to Saturday late afternoon, however, the prefecture put the official death toll at 40, as identification procedures were yet to be completed.
Meanwhile, Autostrade per l'Italia (Highways for Italy) executives said Saturday the highway operator will build a new steel viaduct within eight months to replace the Morandi Bridge.
Speaking at a televised press conference, Autostrade CEO Giovanni Castellucci said the company will set up a fund for the relatives of the victims, plus compensation for residents of buildings that will have to be demolished in order to build the new bridge.
The company will spend an estimated 500 million euros in emergency funding for the people of Genoa, Castellucci specified in reply to questions from reporters.
Castellucci expressed condolences for the victims, and reiterated that the company had done all it could to monitor the bridge and that there had been nothing to indicate an imminent collapse.
"We trust the judiciary will shed light on the truth, and that the truth will be accepted," Castellucci said.
Two commissions of inquiry have been set up. One by the transport ministry, and the other by the Genoa prosecutor's office, which has opened a criminal investigation into the deadly collapse. (1 euro = 1.14 U.S. dollars)
百度发力人工智能突围战
意大利地中海救出三千难民
金沙中国任命王英伟出任首席营运总裁
猫狗之争:从进化角度看猫科比犬科更好
环球与迪士尼成今夏好莱坞最大赢家
习近平十论中美新型大国关系
杭州拟取消出租车“经营权使用金”
美国以国宾规格款待习近平
北京纪委开发“电子眼”监视违规上网
盘点可穿戴设备五大畅销品牌
NBA巨星摩西·马龙逝世:传奇永不凋零!
习奥会聚焦“双边投资协定”
亚马逊打破管理学谎言
基特•哈灵顿或透露雪诺的命运
全球两大啤酒巨头酝酿合并
Symphony联手道琼斯对抗彭博
去哪儿董事会扩容 百度发力在线旅游业
坎迪丝凯恩 变性路上的光荣与梦想
可怕的“摇晃婴儿综合征”
第67届艾美奖完整获奖名单(双语)
除菌肥皂效果不及普通肥皂
奥委会宣布2024年奥运五大候选主办城市
看手相弱爆了:会摸臀算命的秘鲁女士
前途靠运气 大学抓阄分专业备受指责
别人家的学生宿舍:影音室、健身房、游戏室一应俱全
《碟中谍5》:阿汤哥第五次完成不可能的任务
Reddit 惊现少年版憨豆先生
齐普拉斯再度当选希腊总理
汇丰董事长:科技公司应受到更严格金融监管
北京环球主题公园正式签约,力争2019年竣工
不限 |
英语教案 |
英语课件 |
英语试题 |
不限 |
不限 |
上册 |
下册 |
不限 |