一、
Like most people, Ive long understood that I will be judged by my occupation, that my profession is a gauge people use to see how smart or talented I am.
像大多数人一样,我早就知道我的职业将左右别人对我的判断,我的工作室人们可以用来衡量我的聪明和材质的标准。
Recently, however, I was disappointed to see that it also decides how Im treated as a person.
但是最近,我非常失望地发现工作也决定了别人怎样对待我。
Last year I left a professional position as a small-town reporter and took a job waiting tables.
去年我辞去了小镇记者的工作,该做了一名侍者。
As someone paid to serve food to people. I had customers say and do things to me I suspect theyd never say or do to their most casual acquaintances.
在这份为人们提供食物的工作中,我遇到的一些顾客对我说了一些话、做了一些事情,这些话和是我认为他们从来不会向哪怕是他们最熟悉的人去说或做的。
One night a man talking on his cell phone waved me away, then beckoned me back with his finger a minute later, complaining he was ready to order and asking where Id been.
有一天晚上,一个正在打电话的男人先是打手势把我赶走,一分钟后又用他的手指示我回来,对我抱怨说他正在准备点菜,问我究竟去了哪里。
I had waited tables during summers in college and was treated like a peon by plenty of people.
上大学期间,在暑假我就做过侍者,但是就被很多人当勤杂工。
But at 19 years old. I believed I deserved inferior treatment from professional adults.
但是那时19岁的我认为那些职场中的成年人对我差一点也理所当然。
Besides, people responded to me differently after I told them I was in college.
此外,当我告诉他们我在读大学时,我得到的对待又有所不同。
Customers would joke that one day Id be sitting at their table, waiting to be served.
顾客们开玩笑说,总有一天我会坐在他们的位置上,等候服务。
Once I graduated I took a job at a community newspaper.
毕业之后我在社区的报社找到一份工作。
From my first day, I heard a respectful tone from everyone who called me. I assumed this was the way the professional world worked-cordially.
从工作的第一天开始,其他人就用充满敬意的语气称呼我。我以为这就是职场的方式--亲切。
I soon found out differently, I sat several feet away from an advertising sales representative with a similar name.
我很快发现并不是这样。我坐的位置和我的名字相似的广告部销售代表只有几英尺远。
Our calls would often get mixed up and someone asking for Kristen would be transferred to Christie.
我们的电话经常会被弄混,有人要找克里斯滕会被转到克里斯蒂这里来。
The mistake was immediately evident.
这是明显的错误。
Perhaps it was because money was involved, but people used a tone with Kristen that they never used with me.
或许是包含了金钱的因素,但是人们对克里斯滕的语气是从来不会用在我身上的。
My job title made people treat me with courtesy.
我的共组头衔让很多人礼貌地对待我。
So it was a shock to return to the restaurant industry.
所以回到饭店行业之后我真的很受打击。
Its no secret that theres a lot to put up with when waiting tables, and fortunately, much of it can be easily forgotten when you pocket the tips.
当侍者忍受很多,这早已不是什么秘密。但幸运的是,当收到小费的时候,大部分的不快都可以轻易忘掉。
The service industry, by definition, exists to cater to others needs.
服务业的定义就是满足他人的需要。
Still, it seemed that many of my customers didnt get the difference between server and servant.
但是,我的很多顾客四壶分辨不清侍者和侍从的区别。
Im now applying to graduate school, which means someday Ill return to a profession where people need to be nice to me in order to get what they want.
我现在在申请研究生,这就意味着将来有一天我会回到那种职位,那时别人为乐得到他们想要的东西就必须对我礼貌一点。
I think Ill take them to dinner first, and see how they treat someone whose only job is to serve them.
我想我会把他们带去吃顿饭,看一下他们是怎么对待那些专职为他们服务的人的。
辽宁省抚顺市2016-2017学年高二下学期期末考试英语试卷
体坛英语资讯:Chinas Sun Yang defends 400m freestyle title with top result in Budapest
孙宏斌将成为乐视董事长
健身房里的常用词汇
Earth is becoming 'Planet Plastic' 地球正在变成“塑料星球”
国际英语资讯:Philippines Duterte unveils plan to beef up army, police
国内英语资讯:China calls for joint efforts to ensure effective Lancang-Mekong cooperation
体坛英语资讯:NHL may not release players for 2022 Winter Olympics, says NHL vice president
标普将万达商业地产列入信用评级负面观察名单
一周热词榜(7.15-21)
体坛英语资讯:Yao Ming: No time to consider buying Houston Rockets
体坛英语资讯:Xu Jiayu wins Chinese male swimmers first backstroke title at World Championships
辽宁省抚顺市2016-2017学年高一下学期期末考试英语试卷
老外在中国:“北京比基尼”真的不酷
英语面试中应该注意哪三方面的表现
公交车上到底该不该让座?英国人也在为此争执不休
国际英语资讯:26 killed in suicide blast in Pakistans Lahore
体坛英语资讯:Bolt wins with seasons best, China wins 4x100m relay in IAAF Diamond League Monaco meet
国际英语资讯:Erdogan, Qatari emir discuss ways to resolve Gulf crisis
国防部:撼山易撼解放军难!
中国有钱人最喜欢移居的地方,是美国洛杉矶
体坛英语资讯:Frankfurt sign Netherlands international Willems
国际英语资讯:German president warns against turning back on U.S.
体坛英语资讯:Five champion teams to compete in Chinas Wefang Cup soccer tournament
体坛英语资讯:ASEAN Jubilee Friendship Game held in Vietnam
国家版权局:突出整治影视和资讯作品版权问题
体坛英语资讯:British rider Froome wins fourth Tour de France title
Google真是不死心,谷歌眼镜又回来了
美图搞大事情了,开始和Facebook合作搞AR
欧盟追加援助帮助意大利应对移民潮
| 不限 |
| 英语教案 |
| 英语课件 |
| 英语试题 |
| 不限 |
| 不限 |
| 上册 |
| 下册 |
| 不限 |