A agree/refuse/offer/promise/threaten+不定式有时可用来代替say(that):
Ann:Would you wait half an hour?
安:你能等半个小时吗?
Tom:All right.
汤姆:好的。相当于:
Tom agreed to wait./Tom said he would wait.
汤姆同意等。/汤姆说他会等候的。
Ann:Would you lend me another£50?
安:你能再借给我50镑吗?
Tom:No,I wont lend you any more money.
汤姆:不,我不再借钱给你了。相当于:
Tom refused to lend her any more money.
汤姆拒绝再借钱给她。
Tom said that he wouldnt lend
汤姆说他再也不借
Paul:Ill help you if you like,Ann.
保罗:安,如果你愿意,我可以帮你。相当于:
Paul offered to help her.
保罗表示乐意帮助她。
Paul said that hed help her.
保罗说他愿意帮助她.
Ann:Ill pay you back next week.Really I will.
安:下星期我就还钱给你,我一定还。
Ann promised to pay him back the following week./Ann said that she would pay him back.
安答应在下一周把钱还给他。/安说她会把钱还给他的。
Ann assured him that she would pay him back.
安向他保证她会还给他钱的。
Kidnappers:If you dont pay the ransom at once well kill your daugh- ter.
绑架者:如果你不马上交赎金,我们将杀死你女儿。相当于:
The kidnappers threatened to kill his daughter if he didnt pay the ran- som at once.
绑架者恐吓道,如果他不马上交赎金就把他女儿杀死。
The kidnappers said that they would kill
绑架者说他们要杀死
B accuseof/admit/apologize for/deny/insist on+动名词这一类结构有时可代替say(that):
You took the money!
你拿了这钱!
可转述为:
He accused me of taking the money.
他指责我拿了钱。
I stole/didnt steal it.
我偷了/没偷。
可转述为:
I admitted/denied stealing it.
我承认/否认偷了。
Im sorry Im late,he said.
他说:抱歉,我来晚了。
可转述为:
He apologized for being late.
他为迟到表示抱歉。
He said/he was sorry he was late.
他说他很抱歉自己迟到了。
Bill:Let me pay for myself.
比尔:让我自己来付我的那份钱。
Tom:Certainly not!Ill pay!
汤姆:这不行!我来付!
可转述为:
Tom insisted on paying.
汤姆坚持要付钱。