A 前面第89节中已经提到过,紧接在介词后的动词必须用动名词形式:
He left without paying his bill.
他没有付账就走了。
I apologize for not writing before.
我此前未能写信,谨表歉意。
She insisted on paying for herself.
她坚持要付她自己的那一份钱。
Before signing the contract,read the small print.
在签署合约以前,请详读小号字印出的内容。
还请注意某些名词+介词+动名词结构:
Theres no point in taking your car if you cant park.
如果那里不能停放车子的话,你开车去就没多大意思了。
Whats the point of taking your car if you cant park?
如果无处停放车子,你开车去还有什么意思呢?
Is there any chance/likelihood of his changing his mind?
他有可能改变主意吗?
Have you any objection to changing your working hours?
你反不反对改变你的工作时间?
I am in favour of giving everyone a day off.
我赞同给大家放一天假。
B 介词后面必须带动词的动名词形式,这一规则的唯一例外是except和but(介词)。在它们后面带动词原形:
I could do nothing except agree.
我除了同意,没有别的办法。
He did nothing but complain.
他只是抱怨,什么也不做。
但是如果but用做连词,即如果它引导从句,它的后面就可直接跟完整的不定式或动名词:
Being idle sometimes is agreeable,but being idle all the time might become monotonous.
有时清闲无事是令人惬意的,但总是闲呆着就可能变得单调乏味了。
To be idle sometimes is agreeable,but to be idle all the time(译文同上。)
下一篇: 牛津实用英语语法:97 动词和介词