只是开玩笑。
You said you were selling the business?
(你说你要把公司卖了?)
Just kidding.
(只是开玩笑。)
用于开玩笑之后。kid “开玩笑”。
I was just joking.
(我只是在开玩笑。)
Please don’t tease me about that.
(请别拿那件事逗我。)
tease “取笑”、 “逗弄”。
Only joking.
It was a joke.
I was only kidding.
I was only joking.
那件事还不只这些。
There’s more to it than that.
(那件事还不只这些。)
Do you know something I don’t?
(你还知道什么我不知道的?)
There is more to the story.
Those aren’t all the facts.
fact “事实”。
我也是听说的。
Is that reliable information?
(那个消息可靠吗?)
No, I heard it secondhand.
(不可靠, 我也是听说的。)
reliable “可靠的”。information “消息”。
secondhand “第二手的”。
This is secondhand information.
I heard it from someone who heard if from someone else.
(我听说的也是别人听来以后告诉我的。)
以后的事大家都知道了。
The rest is history.
(以后的事大家都知道了。)
How interesting to know the background.
(了解一下个中原因可真有意思。)
rest “剩下的”。这里的history不是指“历史学”, 而是习惯用语, 表示“这以后的事情就是大家知道的
那样”。
background “背景”、 “经历”。
I don’t have to tell you the rest of the story.
(这以后的情况我就没必要再告诉你了。)
Of course, you know the story from there.
(当然, 这以后的情况你就都知道了。)
请你就当没听说过这件事。
Please forget you ever heard it.
(请你就当没听说过这件事。)
It’s already forgotten.
(我已经忘了。)
直译是“请忘记你曾经听说过这件事”。ever 指“迄今为止”、 “ 曾经”。
already “已经”。
Please pretend you never heard it.
(就当你从来没有听说过这件事。)
Please forget all about having heard it.
真是说曹操曹操到。
Jim just walked in.
(吉姆刚好进来。)
Speak of the devil.
(真是说曹操曹操到。)
常用的固定说法。用于正说着什么人这个人就出现了的时候。意思是“说曹操曹操到”。
What a coincidence.
(太巧了。)
coincidence “巧合”。
Just as I was saying.
(就在我正说着的时候。)
上一篇: 职场英语百科:公司里的闲话(6)