他非常绝望, 不停地喝酒。
He’s so desperate, he keeps drinking.
(他非常绝望, 不停地喝酒。)
We have to do something to help him.
(我们得做点什么来帮帮他。)
desperate “绝望的”、 “不顾一切的”。keep ...ing “持续做……”。
He is so desperate that he can’t stop drinking.
can’t stop ...ing “止不住地做……”。
He keeps drinking because he is so desperate.
如果你喝酒, 就不要开车。如果你开车, 就不要喝酒。
I’m entertaining clients this evening.
(今天晚上我要招待客户。)
If you drink, don’t drive. If you drive, don’t drink.
(如果你喝酒, 就不要开车。如果你开车, 就不要喝酒。)
entertain “招待”。
美国的电视和报纸就是这么做宣传的。
Don’t drink and drive.
(别酒后开车。)
Drinking and driving is dangerous.
(酒后开车很危险。)
dangerous “危险的”。
他是个酒鬼。
He’s a heavy drinker.
(他是个酒鬼。)
I was afraid of that.
(我担心过这点。)
这里的heavy指“大量的”。
He drinks way too much.
(他喝酒没有节制。)
He’s a drunk.
这里的drunk指“酒鬼”、 “酒棍”, 是轻蔑的叫法。如果前面没有a, 意思是“醉了”。
他酒量不行。
He’s slurring his words.
(他话都说不清了。)
He can’t hold his liquor.
(他酒量不行。)
slur “发音含混不清”。
hold “支持”、 “维持”。liquor “酒精饮料”。
He gets drunk easily.
(他很容易喝醉。)
He can’t drink.
(他不会喝酒。)
昨天晚上我们泡酒吧去了。
We went barhopping last night.
(昨天晚上我们泡酒吧去了。)
Hope you didn’t drink too much.
(但愿你没喝太多。)
barhop “连着到好几家酒吧喝酒”。
We went from bar to bar last night.
Last night we hit every bar in town.
(昨天晚上我们喝遍了镇上所有的酒吧。)
昨天我把葡萄酒和啤酒混在一起喝。
I mixed drinking wine and beer yesterday.
(昨天我把葡萄酒和啤酒混在一起喝。)
Do you have a hangover?
(今天酒醒了没有?)
mix “混合”。
hangover “宿醉(指头痛、恶心等不良反应)”。
I drank wine and beer yesterday.
I had both wine and beer yesterday.
上一篇: 职场英语百科:男女关系的传言(3)
下一篇: 职场英语百科:公司里的闲话(5)