Policeman:
What's the matter here?
这儿出什么事了?
Benjamin:
Somebody broke into my house in the morning.
今天早上有人闯进我家了。
Policeman:
When did you find out?
你什么时候发现的?
Benjamin:
About 12 o'clock, when I came home from work.
大约12点,当我下班回家的时候。
Policeman:
Apparently forced entry. The lock is battered to pieces.
很明显是强行入室。锁被砸烂了。
Benjamin:
I wonder how the burglar did it.
真不明白小偷怎么干的。
Policeman:
He is so unskillful. I have never seen such an awkward burglar.
他技术太烂了。我从没见过技术这么烂的小偷。
Benjamin:
That's because we have a strong lock.
那是因为我们有一把结实的锁。
Policeman:
Probably. Let's check the inside then.
也许吧。我们看看室内吧。
Benjamin:
Did you find anything?
你发现什么了吗?
Policeman:
Yes, the house was in a terrible mess. It was almost turned upside down by the burglar.
是的,这房里乱透了。它几乎被小偷翻了个底朝天。
Benjamin:
Oh, er…sorry that's because we didn't have time to clean it.
哦,嗯……不好意思那是因为我们没时间打扫。
Policeman:
You mean it is not created by the burglar?
你的意思这不是小偷干的?
Benjamin:
Definitely not, sir.
确实不是,警官。
对话讲解:
batter vt. 接连重击
There's someone battering at the door.
有人在用力敲门。
in a terrible mess 很乱
I'm afraid we have made a terrible mess in your room.
恐怕我们把你的房间搞得一团糟了。
definitely adv. 明确地; 确切地
I can't tell you definitely when I will come.
我不能肯定地告诉你我什么时候来。