Jimmy:
I don't know how to tell you this, but...I think I've been underpaid all these years. I believe I deserve a higher salary.
我不知道怎么跟你说,但是……,我想我这些年的薪水太低了。我想我应该拿更高的薪水。
Laura:
Oh? How much do you think you are worth?
哦?你认为你应该拿多少?
Jimmy:
About fifty dollars a week more than I'm making now.
比现在每周多五十元左右。
Laura:
What? Fifty dollars? I can only give you twenty-dollar raise. Will that satisfy you?
什么?五十元?我只能给你多加20元。这样你满意吗?
Jimmy:
It comes closer to insulting me. Well, I think I have to consider if I should stay here any longer.
这简直是侮辱我。我想我得考虑是否再留在这儿。
Laura:
Well, It's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.
嗯,这个问题要你自己决定。
对话讲解:
deserve v. 应得; 值得
She deserves a reward for her efforts. 她积极努力, 应得到奖赏.
worth adj.值…的;价值…的
How much is this bicycle worth? It's worth £50.
这辆自行车值多少钱?值50英磅。
satisfy v. 使满足,使满意
This work does not satisfy me.
这件工作我不满意。
insult vt. 侮辱;对人无礼
He insulted her by calling her a stupid fool.
他叫她笨蛋来侮辱了她。