职场社交英语口语对话 Lesson 27:她可都是玩真的
SCENE⑤ C 会议结束后
【她可都是玩真的】
Elvin: I used to 1) be down on the sales people until I saw her 2) in action.
艾文: 我以前对业务员都很失望,直到我见识到吉娜的能耐。
Dave: She means business, for sure.
戴夫: 她可都是玩真的。
Elvin: Most salespeople seem like 3) half-brains. Zina's definitely an 4) exception.
艾文: 大部分的业务看起来都没大脑。吉娜绝对是个例外。
Dave: We'd better get back to work.
戴夫: 我们最好回去工作了。
Elvin: Yeah, I'm not too worried about Vince, but I'd hate to face Zina if we don't 5) deliver...
艾文: 是啊,我还不太担心文斯,但若我们搞不定,我可是打死不想面对吉娜……
语言详解
A: It's definitely time you got a haircut.
你绝对该去剪头发了。
B: I know. My hair is always in my eyes.
我知道。我的头发老是跑进眼睛。
【mean business 玩真的】
mean business是表示“当真,玩真的”,没有儿戏的成份在内,一心一意地去达成某件事,未必和“生意”business有关:
A: I still can't believe Mary got into college.
我还是不敢相信玛莉考进大学了。
B: Well, she meant business this time.
呃,她这次是玩真的。
mean business也可以表示为了某种目的而来:
A: Why are the police outside?
警察怎么会在这儿?
B: They mean business. Otherwise, they wouldn't have come here.
他们来办事。要不然没事他们不会来的。
1) be down on... 对……感到失望,看不起。
2) in action 在行动中,在动作中
3) half-brain (n.) 只有半个脑,意即“没大脑,白痴”。
4) exception (n.) 例外
5) deliver (v.) 成功达成交付任务