如果你出国旅游,遇到一个英语说得特别好的老外,你可能以为对方是英国人或美国人,实际上,对方也可能是荷兰人或瑞典人,因为在一些母语非英语的国家,英语说得好的人也比比皆是。除了荷兰和瑞典,这些国家的人英语说得也不错。
If you're reading this story, the chances are you've got a pretty good grasp of English.
如果你在读这篇报道,十有八九你的英语还不错。
You're not alone -- an estimated 1.5 billion people speak English today, making it the most commonly used language in the world.
不光是你,据估计现今有15亿人会说英语,这使得英语成为世界上最常用的语言。
The majority are non-native speakers with English as their second language, while it serves as a third or fourth language for hundreds of millions more.
大多数会说英语的人母语都不是英语,英语是第二语言,而对于更多人而言,英语是第三或第四语言。
So which destination holds the most fluent non-native English speakers?
那么在这些母语非英语的国家中,哪些地方的人英语说得最流利呢?
According to a new report by international education company by EF Education First, the Netherlands can lay claim to the best non-native English speakers across the globe.
跨国公司英孚教育集团的一份新报告指出,荷兰是全球母语非英语的国家中英语说得最好的。
The results of its English Proficiency Index, based on a free online test taken by 2.3 million volunteers, indicate that the Dutch are the most fluent.
报告中的英语能力指数基于230万志愿者参加的一项免费在线测试,该指数显示,荷兰人的英语最流利。
Sweden was positioned just below, with a score of 68.74 out of 100, while Norway came in third with 67.93 points.
瑞典仅次于荷兰,得分68.74(满分为100),挪威排名第三,得分67.93。
Although the destinations with "very high proficiency" were largely made up of European countries, Singapore and South Africa also scored highly, coming in fifth and sixth place respectively.
尽管“英语水平很高”的国家基本都是欧洲国家,但新加坡和南非的得分也很高,分别位居第五名和第六名。
It's worth noting that destinations with greater access to computers and internet will likely have had higher numbers of participants, which may have skewed the results.
值得注意的是,使用电脑和网络更方便的地方参与者更多,这可能会让结果产生偏差。
skew[skjuː]: v. 偏离,歪斜;扭转,偏转;歪曲
The report also found that English was the most widely studied second language in the world by far.
报告还发现,迄今为止,英语是世界上最多人学习的第二语言。
Bilinguality appears to be less of a priority for Americans, if a separate study by non-partisan American think tank Pew Research Center is anything to go by.
如果美国无党派智库皮尤研究中心的一项独立研究结果值得采信的话,双语能力似乎对于美国人没那么重要。
Published last year, the analysis found that just 20% of school students in the United States were studying a foreign language.
这项于去年发布的分析报告发现,美国只有20%的在校学生在学习外语。
EF Education First's poll was measured by testing non-native English speakers in 100 countries and over 400 cities and regions who voluntarily agreed to take the test.
英孚集团的调查通过对100个国家、400多个城市和地区中英语非母语的人进行测试得出了结果。这些人都是自愿参加测试的。
最后来看看英语非母语而说得好的国家有哪些:
1. Netherlands 70.31 荷兰
2. Sweden 70.72 瑞典
3. Norway 68.38 挪威
4. Denmark 67.34 丹麦
5. Singapore 68.63 新加坡
6. South Africa 66.52 南非
7. Finland 65.86 芬兰
8. Austria 63.13 奥地利
9. Luxembourg 66.33 卢森堡
10. Germany 63.74 德国
11. Poland 62.45 波兰
12. Portugal 60.02 葡萄牙
13. Belgium 63.52 比利时
14. Croatia 60.16 克罗地亚
下一篇: 由于气候变暖,厄尔尼诺现象正在变严重
高考英语押题作文素材:我们钦佩的不仅是冠军 Not Only the Champions We Admire
高考英语押题作文素材:时尚与潮流 Fashion and variation
高考英语押题作文素材:水的净化 Water Purification
高考英语押题作文素材:网上英语角 English Corner on the Net
高考英语押题作文素材:条条大路通罗马 All Roads Lead to Rome
高考英语押题作文素材:我喜爱的活动 My Favorite Activities
高考英语押题作文素材:谈出国 On Going Abroad
高考英语押题作文素材:上海的四季 The Four Seasons in Shanghai
高考英语押题作文素材:我在英语里发现了我的热情 I found my passion in English
高考英语押题作文素材:我最喜欢的食品 my favorite food
高考英语押题作文素材:我对商业精神的观点 my wiew on the soul of the business
高考英语押题作文素材:我们的长江 Our Changjing River
高考英语押题作文素材:我的家乡—庐山 My Hometown Mount Lushan
高考英语押题作文素材:守株待兔 Lying by the Tree to wait for
高考英语押题作文素材:谈个人卫生 On Personal Hygiene
高考英语押题作文素材:我的小侄 My Little Niece
高考英语押题作文素材:我最喜欢的水果 My Favorite Fruit
高考英语押题作文素材:特别的礼物 Unforgettable Present
高考英语押题作文素材:我记忆中的一位老师 A Teacher in My Memory
高考英语押题作文素材:我最喜欢的作家-鲁迅 My favourite writer—Lu Xun
高考英语押题作文素材:挑战自我 Competition with myself
高考英语押题作文素材:失业给中国带来了什么 What Unemployment Brings to China
高考英语押题作文素材:我最大的爱好 MY FAVOURITE HOBBIES
高考英语押题作文素材:台风来了 Typhoon coming
高考英语押题作文素材:我对发展汽车工业的看法 My View on Developing the Car Industry
高考英语押题作文素材:我最喜爱的娱乐 My favorite pastime
高考英语押题作文素材:西方国家假日 The Western Holidays
高考英语押题作文素材:我最喜爱的运动 MY FAVOURITE SPORT
高考英语押题作文素材:我最喜爱的一本书 My Favourite Book
高考英语押题作文素材:我对友谊的看法 My Idea about Friendship