HOW SOCIAL MEDIA OVERLOAD REDUCES YOUR CAPACITY TO PROCESS INFORMATION
过度使用社交媒体会削弱你处理信息的能力
Social media networks are weapons of mass distraction.
社交网络是一个让人分心的大利器。
Each day we are inundated with a flood of information from social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
我们每天都被淹没在来自脸书、推特、谷歌+的信息洪流中。
Even if you didn’t have to work, eat or sleep, you wouldn’t be able to get through all the information being shared by your friends and colleagues on blogs and social networks.
即使你不用工作、吃饭、睡觉,你也看不完你同学和同事在各种播客和社交媒体上发布的东西。
The problem we face is that much of this information grabs our attention and seems very interesting at first glance.
而我们面对的问题是,这些东西的确会吸引我们的注意力,而且乍看之下似乎都挺有趣。
At the same time, much of the information is also unimportant, disposable and it distracts us from more meaningful pursuits.
但同时,这其中的大部分信息都是不重要的、可有可无的,而它们都在阻止我们去做更有意义的事。
To make matters worse, when we spend a lot of time consuming information from our social media streams, we have tendency to forget what we have consumed anyway.
更糟的是,当我们在社交媒体的信息流上花太多时间时,我们很容易忘掉我们看了什么。
The name for this tendency to forget is the Google Effect. In a nutshell, researchers have found that we have a tendency to forget information that can be easily found using Internet search engines like Google.
这种倾向的名字叫做谷歌效应。简单讲就是:研究者发现我们特别容易忘记那些能轻易在谷歌这样的搜索引擎上搜到的东西。
How Social Media Overload Affects Your Brain:
过度使用社交媒体是如何影响你的大脑的:
A new study from Sweden’s KTH Royal Institute of Technology has found that too much social media exposure actually reduces your capacity to process information and depletes your short-term working memory.
瑞典KTH王家技术学院发现:过度暴露在社交媒体之下会削弱你处理信息的能力并会耗尽你的短期工作记忆。
Our working memory plays a critical role in our ability to filter information and remember what is valuable but it is also a limited resource.
我们的工作记忆在筛选信息、记住重要东西的时候是至关重要的,但它是一种非常有限的资源。
Erik Fransén, a Professor in Computer Science at KTH and the leader of this new study on social media overload, explains in detail:
这项关于社交媒体过度的研究,由埃里克·弗朗森主导,他是KTH的一位计算机科学教授,他详细解释到:
“At any given time, the working memory can carry up to three or four items. When we attempt to stuff more information in the working memory, our capacity for processing information begins to fail.
“在任何时候,工作记忆都只能记住3到4个东西。当你企图在工作记忆中塞入更多信息时,我们处理信息的能力就会衰减。
When you are on Facebook, you are making it harder to keep the things that are ‘online’ in your brain that you need.
当你在刷脸书的时候,你会让自己更难记住脑中那些你需要记得的东西。
In fact, when you try to process sensory information like speech or video, you are going to need partly the same system of working memory, so you are reducing your own working memory capacity.
事实上,当你需要处理演讲、视频这种感官信息的时候,你在一定程度上需要用到和工作记忆同样的系统,所以你是在削弱自己的工作记忆能力。
And when you try to store many things in your working memory, you get less good at processing information.”
而当你想在工作记忆当中存储很多东西的时候,你处理它们的能力就不那么好了。”
Ultimately, the brain is designed for periods of both activity and relaxation.
说到底,大脑既需要工作也需要休息。
It is the periods of relaxation and downtime — preferably disconnected from the distractions of your computer or smartphone — that are needed for memory consolidation and transferring important information to your long-term memory.
而正是这些休息时间——最好是暂时离开你的电脑和智能手机——让你的记忆得以巩固,并把重要的信息传输到长期记忆当中。
So, how can you take your brain offline? I recommend taking regular 5-minute breaks every hour to relax and temporarily reduce your exposure to new information.
所以,你要如何才能让自己的大脑下线呢?我建议每过1小时就定时休息5分钟,并暂时减少自己所接受的新信息量。
You can do a quick meditation, go for a short walk or spend a few minutes listening to music.
你可以做一次快速的冥想,去散散步,或者听几分钟音乐。
This will help you improve your capacity to process information and increase your productivity.
这能帮助你提高自己处理信息的能力,并能增强你的创造力。
上一篇: 工作狂要怎样照顾好自己
下一篇: 想要保持好身材 跟赫本学学
体坛英语资讯:Brazil coach Tite sees happiness in Neymar, Alves at PSG
婴儿颈浮圈成宝宝杀手?专家称:使用不当非常危险
牛津大学的学霸是怎么学习的?
妻子拒绝与丈夫同房等同虐待?
国际英语资讯:Russia to continue to seek dialogue with U.S. despite sanctions: deputy FM
体坛英语资讯:Vasco da Gama sack coach Mendes
华裔小哥讲了个段子,就荣获了爱丁堡国际艺穗节笑话奖,这种英式幽默你能懂吗?
如何对待演讲 How to Treat Speech
The Trap of Low Price 低价陷阱
凯特王妃空闲时最爱干啥?说不定你也做过哟
蔬菜中的叶黄素或能延缓认知衰老
国际英语资讯:Death toll in Brazils fresh shipwreck rises to 22: navy
国内英语资讯:Top political advisor requests Chinese experts worldwide share their wisdom
The Best Age 最好的年代
体坛英语资讯:Chinas Super Dan and Shi reach second round at badminton worlds
国内英语资讯:Chinese experts train Cambodian agriculture officials on lab, mechanization, horticulture
美海军官员:海军将解除第七舰队司令的职务
如何使用手机 How to Use Cellphone
国际英语资讯:Brexit chiefs to put forward ambitious plan for data protection between EU, Britain
婴儿颈浮圈成宝宝杀手?专家称:使用不当非常危险
想进苹果公司?那就找出隐藏的招聘广告!
国内英语资讯:Chinas top legislator meets Indonesian ministers
荷兰得到恐袭警报后取消摇滚乐队演出
辽宁省葫芦岛市2016-2017学年高二下学期期末质量监测(7月)英语试卷
白色的世界 The White World
国际英语资讯:Spotlight: IS group beaten heavily in Syrias Qalamoun mountains
体坛英语资讯:Uruguay, Argentina set to formalize 2030 World Cup bid
美推出无牌电商平台:极简风20元无牌日用品,你会买单吗?
美国关切埃及人权状况,暂停对埃各项援助
医生穿京剧戏服接诊引质疑 回应:希望增加亲切感