在美国住久了,你会发现有些很简单的词组或句子,表达的却并非字面上的意思。如果理解不到位,往往会闹出笑话。比如有这么两个看似简单的说法:
1.Tell me about it!(字面意思:快告诉我是怎么回事!)
2.What else is new?(字面意思:还有什么新的吗?)
其实,以上两句如果放到对话中,所表达的含义会与字面意思有很大不同。那么,这两句到底是什么意思呢?让我们举几个例子:
Tell me about it!
A:Do you know under the newly reformed tax plan, the rich people actually pay less tax?
你知道吗,如果实行改革后的新税务计划,富人交纳的税反而会更少?
B: Yeah, tell me about it! My neighbor is a million-aire and he told me that his tax rate would be reduced by fifty percent.
可不是吗?我的邻居是个百万富翁。他告诉我,他的交税比例将降低50%。
在这里,tell me aboutit不是要求对方细说,而是表示一种附和,还带有惊讶的成分。再比如:
A: Under such harsh economic downturns, working class can hardly make ends meet.
经济下滑这么厉害,工薪阶层快要揭不开锅了。
B: Tell me about it! In my family alone two people got laid off. I don‘t know how I can make the mortgage payment this month.
可不是吗?光我们家下岗的就有俩,我还不知道这个月怎么付房子的银行贷款呢。
What else is new?
A:Hey, do you know the new governor is going to cut the funding for education?
嘿,你听说了吗?新州长要砍教育经费呢!
B: What else is new? We all know he represents big businesses. Education is not his top priority.
那有什么稀奇的?我们早就知道他一向代表大公司的利益,教育不是他最关心的事。
在这里,What else is new表示,这种结局是预料之中的事,不算什么资讯。所以,根据上下文,也可译为这算不上什么资讯。再比如:
A:Yesterday my daughter gave me a gift wish list for her 15th birthday. Among other things she asks for a lap-top computer!
我女儿给我开了一个单子,列举了她15岁生日想要的礼物。其中竟然有一台便携式电脑!
B: What else is new? At least she hasn‘t asked for a car. Wait till next year!
那有什么稀奇的?她至少没让你送她一辆车。明年你等着瞧吧!
(编辑:赵颖茹)