Larry和李华在公园里散步,今天我们要学两个常用语:on the bright side和no-brainer。
LH: Larry, 周末在公园里走走,真舒服啊!
L: Normally I would agree with you Lihua, but when it's 100 degrees out like it is today, I might prefer my air-conditioned apartment。
LH: 天是够热的。不过你知足吧,起码今天公园里人不多,难得这么清静!
L: That's true. It may be hot, but if we look on the bright side, the park isn't crowded at all。
LH: Look on the bright side? 这是什么意思?
L: Lihua, when you look on the bright side, you try to see something good in a bad situation。
LH: 哦,on the bright side就是从好的方面讲。你是说,虽然今天天气很热,但是从好的方面看,正因为天热,人们都不愿意出来,所以公园里才会这么清静。
L: Right! Here is another example. There is supposed to be a big rain storm later today, but looking on the bright side, that will help cool down the weather。
LH: 哦,今天晚上可能会下大雨,可是从好的方面看,这可以让气温降下来,天气能凉快些!
L: You got it!
LH: 对了,Larry,天这么热,你干嘛穿长衣长裤啊?
L: Yeah, I am pretty hot in these clothes. But on the bright side, I won't get a sunburn。
LH: 老土! 你不知道世界上有种东西叫防晒霜么?
L: Very funny. Yes I do, but on the bright side, I can save a little money by wearing long clothes instead。
LH: 可是Larry, 你们美国人不是喜欢把皮肤晒得黑黑的么?你干嘛要把自己捂起来呢?
L: Yes, lots of Americans like to get a tan in the summer, but there is a really big downside: skin cancer。
LH: A downside?
L: That's right. If you want to point out something bad about a situation, you can tell people to consider the downside。
LH: 明白了,downside就是“缺点”,不好的方面。和the bright side正好相反。Larry,你看那只小狗,正在和主人玩儿接飞盘的游戏,真好玩儿!我真希望自己也有条小狗!
L: Yeah, dogs are a lot of fun, but there is a big downside: you have to spend lots of time and money taking care of them。
LH: 那倒是,那养只猫咪怎么样?
L: Well, I don't think cats are as much fun to play with as dogs. But on the bright side, they are much more independent。
******
LH: Larry, 我们今天除了散步还要干点什么呢?玩儿扔飞盘怎么样?
L: Lihua, if I do any running around in the sun today, you're going to have to take me to the hospital with heat stroke。
LH: 这倒也是。这么大热的天,我们还是不要跑跑跳跳的了。
L: Yeah, that's a no-brainer.No-brainer 明摆着的事情
LH: A no-brainer? 什么意思啊?
L: When you think something is really obvious, you can say that it's a no-brainer。
LH: 哦,no-brainer就是不用动脑子就知道的事,也就是明摆着的事情。你是说,天气这么热,明摆着,咱们不能跑跑跳跳。
L: Exactly! Here is another example. Some people don't like to buckle their seatbelt in the car, but to me, that's a no brainer。
LH: 是啊,坐车系安全带,这是一定要的啊。就跟在户外要防晒一样。没什么可说的。
L: Yeah, you would have to be really stupid to risk getting skin cancer。
LH: 哎,Larry, 看样子马上就会下雨了,咱们赶快走吧,省得挨浇。
L: Of course, Lihua, that's a no-brainer. We definitely wouldn't want to stay outside in a thunderstorm!
上一篇: 时尚英语:K歌必备的口语表达
下一篇: 实用口语:英语里“复习”就是“刷干净”?
中医的优势 The Advantages of Chinese Medicine
国际英语资讯:Argentine Jorge Bergoglio Elected Pope
复试英文自我介绍
国际英语资讯:Obama to Israeli TV before visit: Nuclear Iran a red line
汉语备受追捧The Popularity of Mandarin
最好的时尚 The Best Fashion
自信的重要性 The Importance of Self-confidence
国际英语资讯:News Analysis: Obama seeks greater cooperation with allies in face of budget crisis
电钻iPhone 7,钻出隐藏耳机孔?
二孩的好处The Good Sides of Second Child
在职业生涯中情商比智商更重要 EQ counts more than IQ in career
性别比例失衡 Gender Imbalance
国际英语资讯:Obama to meet top lawmakers on spending cuts
关于幸福的议论文
国际和平日 International Day of Peace
高中英语五句话作文:公共场所禁烟
应该适当注重中文学习 Due Attention Should Be Given to the Study of Chinese
高中英语作文范文:诚为上策
动物园一日游 A Day in the Zoo
恐怖片 Horror Movie