英文名著精选阅读:《傲慢与偏见》第八章 第4节
"Do you prefer reading to cards?" said he; "that is rathersingular."
“你宁可看书,不要玩牌吗?他说。“这真是少有。
"Miss Eliza Bennet," said Miss Bingley, "despisescards. She is a great reader and has no pleasure in anything else."
彬格莱小姐说:“伊丽莎·班纳特小姐瞧不起玩牌,她是个了不起的读书人,对别的事都不感到乐趣。
"I deserve neither such praise nor suchcensure," cried Elizabeth; "I am not a great reader, and I have pleasure in many things."
伊丽莎白嚷道:“这样的夸奖我不敢当,这样的责备我也不敢当,我并不是什么了不起的读书人,很多东西我都感到乐趣。
"In nursing your sister I am sure you have pleasure," said Bingley; "and I hope it will soon be increased by seeing her quite well."
彬格莱先生说:“我断定乐意照料你自己的姐姐,但愿她快些复元,那你就会更加快活了。
Elizabeth thanked him from her heart, and then walked towards a table where a few books were lying. He immediately offered to fetch her others; all that his library afforded.
伊丽莎白从心底里感激他,然后走到一张放了几本书的桌子跟前。他立刻要另外拿些书来给她──把他书房里所有的书都拿来。
"And I wish my collection were larger for your benefit and my own credit; but I am an idle fellow, and though I have not many, I have more than I ever look into." Elizabeth assured him that she could suit herself perfectly with those in the room.
“要是我的藏书多一些就好啦,无论是为你的益处着想,为我自己的面子着想;可是我是个懒鬼,藏书不多,读过的就更少了。伊丽莎白跟他说,房间里那几本书尽够她看了。
"I amastonished," said Miss Bingley, "that my father should have left so small a collection of books. -- What a delightful library you have at Pemberley, Mr. Darcy!"
彬格莱小姐说:“我很奇怪,爸爸怎么只遣留下来了这么几本书。──达西先生,你在彭伯里的那个藏书室真是好极了!
"It ought to be good," he replied, "it has been the work of many generations."
达西说:“那有什么稀奇。那是好几代的成绩啊。
"And then you have added so much to it yourself, you are always buying books."
“你自己又添置了不少书,只看见你老是在买书。
"I cannot comprehend the neglect of a family library in such days as these,"
“我有现在这样的日子过,自然不好意思疏忽家里的藏书室。
"Neglect! I am sure you neglect nothing that can add to the beauties of that noble place. Charles, when you build your house, I wish it may be half as delightful as Pemberley."
“疏忽!我相信凡是能为你那个高贵的地方啬主观的东西,你一件也没疏忽过。──查尔斯,以后你自己建筑住宅的时候,我只希望有彭伯里一半那么美丽就好了。
"I wish it may."
“但愿如此。
1.singular adj. 独一的,唯一的,非凡的;奇特的;奇怪的;异常的
2.despise[di'spaiz] vt. 轻视
He claims to despise riches.
他宣称蔑视钱财。
3.censure n. 责难, 非难 v. 非难, 责备,公开谴责
They were censured as traitors.
他们被指责为叛徒。
4.astonished adj. 惊讶的
I was astonished at the news.
这消息着实让我吃了一惊。
1.And I wish my collection were larger for your benefit and my own credit;
【难句解析】for one's benefit意思是“为...的好处考虑;for one's credit意思是“为某人的荣誉、面子考虑;
【句子翻译】要是我的藏书多一些就好啦,无论是为你的益处着想,为我自己的面子着想;
(编辑:薛琳)
上一篇: Thehartintheox-stall
梅西上线,阿根廷惊险晋级!马拉多纳为阿根廷表情包实力代言
永远别对孩子说这些话
英国以国家安全为由推迟中资收购案
国内英语资讯:China, Myanmar to increase cooperation
NASA酝酿将人类送上金星
国内英语资讯:China-Africa defense, security forum opens in Beijing
除了hot,你还知道哪些热的英语表达吗?
国内英语资讯:9th Chinese medical team to continue providing free medical services in PNG
为什么中国人的英语口语很难提高?问题在哪
芭比公司推出技能型娃娃!颠覆以往传统
马克龙欲重启国民兵役制度 要求所有16岁法国公民强制服役
国内英语资讯:Vice premier meets with HKSAR chief executive
研究显示 长时间待在教室会导致近视
国内英语资讯:Xi encourages octogenarian actor to become CPC role model
娱乐英语资讯:Chinese American actress Lucy Liu to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
Love 爱
体坛英语资讯:Costa lifts Spain to 1-0 win over Iran
体坛英语资讯:Pizzi looking for improvements as Saudi Arabia prepare for vital Uruguay game
生活因为爱情才显得真实
Autumn 秋天