英文名著精选阅读:《傲慢与偏见》第二章 第1节
MR. Bennet was among the earliest of those who waited on Mr. Bingley. He had always intended to visit him, though to the last always assuring his wife that he should not go; and till the evening after the visit was paid, she had no knowledge of it. It was then disclosed in the following manner. Observing his second daughter employed intrimminga hat, he suddenly addressed her with,
班纳特先生尽管在自己太太面前自始至终都说是不想去拜访彬格莱先生,事实上一直都打算去拜访他,而且还是跟第一批人一起去拜访他的。等到他去拜访过以后,当天晚上太太才知道实情。这消息透露出来的经过是这样的--他看到第二个女儿在装饰帽子,就突然对她说:
"I hope Mr. Bingley will like it, Lizzy."
“我希望彬格莱先生会喜欢你这顶帽子,丽萃。
"We are not in a way to know what Mr. Bingley likes," said her motherresentfully, "since we are not to visit."
她母亲气愤愤地说:“我们既然不预备去看彬格莱先生,当然就无从知道他喜欢什么。
"But you forget, mama," said Elizabeth, "that we shall meet him at theassemblies, and that Mrs. Long has promised to introduce him."
“可是你忘啦,妈妈,伊丽莎白说,“我们将来可以在跳舞会上碰到他的,郎格太太不是答应过把他介绍给我们吗?
"I do not believe Mrs. Long will do any such thing. She has two nieces of her own. She is a selfish,hypocriticalwoman, and I have no opinion of her."
“我不相信郎格太太肯这么做。她自己有两个亲侄女。她是个自私自利、假仁假义的女人,我瞧不起她。
"No more have I," said Mr. Bennet; "and I am glad to find that you do not depend on her serving you."
“我也瞧不起她,班纳特先生说;“你倒不指望她来替你效劳,这叫我听到高兴。
Mrs. Bennet deigned not to make any reply; but unable to contain herself, began scolding one of her daughters.
班纳特太太没有理睬他,可是忍不住气,便骂起女儿来。
"Don't keep coughing so, Kitty, for heaven's sake! Have a little compassion on my nerves. You tear them to pieces."
“别那么咳个不停,吉蒂,看老天爷份上吧!稍许体谅一下我的神经吧。你简直叫我的神经要胀裂啦。
"Kitty has nodiscretionin her coughs," said her father; "she times them ill."
“吉蒂真不知趣,她的父亲说;“咳嗽也不知道拣个时候。
"I do not cough for my own amusement," replied Kittyfretfully.
“我又不是故意咳着玩儿。吉蒂气恼地回答道。
"When is your next ball to be, Lizzy?"
“你们的跳舞会定在那一天开,丽萃?
"To-morrow fortnight."
“从明天算起,还得再过两个星期。
"Aye, so it is," cried her mother, "and Mrs. Long does not come back till the day before; so it will be impossible for her to introduce him, for she will not know him herself."
“唔,原来如此,她的母亲嚷道,“郎格太太可要挨到开跳舞会的前一天才能赶回来;那么,她可来不及把他介绍给你们啦,她自己也还不认识他呢。
"Then, my dear, you may have the advantage of your friend, and introduce Mr. Bingley to her."
“那么,好太太,你正可以占你朋友的上风,反过来替她介绍这位贵人啦。
"Impossible, Mr. Bennet, impossible, when I am notacquaintedwith him myself; how can you be so teazing?"
“办不到,我的好老爷,办不到,我自己还不认识他呢;你怎么可以这样嘲笑人?
1.trim [trim] vt. 修除, 削剪, 装备, 痛打, 击败, 使整洁
I'll have my hair trimmed tomorrow.
明天我要修剪头发。
2.resentfully [ri'zentfuli] adv. 充满愤恨地
He glowered resentfully at Adam.
他愤慨地两眼直瞪着亚当。
3.assembly n. 集合, 集会
It's an unlawful assembly.
那是非法集会。
4.hypocritical adj. 伪善的, 伪善者的
A hypocritical rogue.
一个伪君子坏蛋
5.discretion n. 谨慎, 判断力, 个人选择, 选择的自由
I trust his discretion absolutely.
我完全相信他的判断。
6.fretfully adv. 焦躁地, 焦急地
He tossed fretfully and could not get to sleep.
但是东想西想,急躁地翻来覆去终夜不能入眠。
7.acquainted adj. 有知识的,知晓的,与某人相识的
Are you acquainted with him?
你跟他熟吗?
1.MR. Bennet was among the earliest of those who waited on Mr. Bingley.
【难句解析】among相当于one of;
【句子翻译】班内特先生是跟第一批人一起去拜访彬格莱先生的。
2.and I have no opinion of her...
【难句解析】have no opinion of sb.意思是“对某人没有好感;
【句子翻译】我瞧不起她。
3.she times them ill...
【难句解析】这里的time是动词,意思是“为...安排时间;
【句子翻译】她(咳嗽)得不是时候。
4.you may have the advantage of your friend...
【难句解析】have the advantage of sb.跟某人相比有优势;
【句子翻译】你正可以占你朋友的上风。
1.trimming a hat:装饰帽子
当时仕女讲究戴帽,有钱人家年年买新帽,略微拮据的就拿过季旧帽自己重新修饰。班内特家虽略有资产,但女儿众多,毕竟不是那么宽裕。这身份、阶级、财富的差异,是本书情节发展的关键背景因素。班内特太太的爱财,彬格莱姐妹的势力,伊丽莎白的偏见,达西的傲慢,俱都由此发出。
(编辑:薛琳)
下一篇: 精选英语美文阅读:生活就像自助餐